Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 01 A/C hack Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
fossilfronty

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 13 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote fossilfronty

Anyone figured out how to mod the a/c switch so defrost works w/o a/c?

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 13 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

fossilfronty;

Welcome to the group!

... I don’t use the defroster very much. What really hacks me off is adding heat to the A/C! We noticed in our 95 Quest, ’95 King Cab and ‘99 Frontier heat was flowing automatically when the A/C was running, how stupid is that?… I’m using extra fuel to cool the vehicle and the system is adding heat to it!

... Many other brands besides Nissan are doing this. I don’t know the answer to your question but here’s what I do to reduce the problem. I run the A/C wide open (max cold) and manually turn the compressor on and off. I turn the compressor off going up-hill and on during the down hill run… This seems to conserve power, fuel and seems to stop the heat flow.

... I’ve thought about adding a separate on/off switch to the compressor but worry that it might confuse the trucks computer causing it to go into self destruct mode!

Have a good one.   and CUL.. Don S..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

fossilfronty

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote fossilfronty

yup, i agree with that.  it does seem quite silly.  i know it can be done, so  i'll just have to trace some wires and put in a switch.  my truck is in pretty much self destruct mode all the time, so..........

JPNNH

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote JPNNH

Just my 2 cents but I discovered any time you put the defrost or AC on it will run the compressor all the time even if you turn switch to other settings...I tried to turn it off by putting the fan switch to the  off location too but it still runs...the only way it shuts off (the compressor)  is to put switch in another mode & shut truck off & then restart...& try to avoid at all times using defrost or AC switch unless you want it running all the time... I wonder what idiot designed this AC system!

fossilfronty

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote fossilfronty

I pulled the fuse in the engine fuse block for the A/C Comp.  Now the A/C will not come on when the defrost is on.  It's now just a matter of putting a switch inline with that fuse.  This is quite possibly the dumbest A/C system since the CJ-7 offered A/C as an option.

JPNNH

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote JPNNH

If you can locate the wires will you let us know here...I'd like to do the same thing...Thanks!

hintonl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote hintonl

This might help copied from another site

For now this How-To is just a text file.  When the procedure is documented with film I will redo the instructions.

How to disable the automatic engagement of the A/C during defrost, written by Brent Scott, a.k.a. likexterra/OffroadX: I don't know about anyone else, but there are times I want fresh air flowing out of the defroster vents without having the darn A/C kicking in. I got around to figuring it out today. Items needed: Medium size phillips-head screwdriver Very tiny phillips-head or flathead screwdriver, about eyeglass size 

1. Release (not remove) the gray plastic trim below the steering wheel, there are 2 screws at the bottom corners. You just need to get it loose so that you can push it down about 2 inches at the top around the steering column. 

2. Remove the dash surround. There are 2 screws above the radio, and another two on the underside of the top of the gauge well. The smooth piece the second two screws go through comes out with it, there are 2 screws at the bottom edge of it as well, behind the gray trim piece you should have released in step 1. It will take a little tugging, but it will all come off cleanly. Disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses for the power mirrors, hazard lights, and rear defroster before you go yanking the thing completely off though! 

3. Now you will see the white housing for the A/C controls secured by 4 screws. Remove the 4 screws (don't let 'em fall in the dash) and then push the left-hand side of the housing back so that you can slide it to the left. You may need to set your fan switch so that it is vertical to get the most freedom of motion. 

4. Now that you have the housing as far to the left as you can, pull the right-hand side of it out a bit. The wiring harnesses and cables will prevent it from coming more than an inch or so out, but that's all you need. Notice on the upper right-hand side in back there is a small micro switch with about half a dozen small wires running to it. It is held in place from below by one tiny phillips-head screw about an inch long. You can see the tip of it on the top of the housing... 

5. Remove the tiny screw from the bottom of the switch, taking _extreme_ care not to let it fall into the stereo below. Put something down there to catch it if you like, I folded a piece of paper into a pocket of sorts and slid it in below (but I didn't drop it anyway :) 

6. Move the switch to the top of the white housing, and screw it right back into the same hole from above, making sure that the metal lever is facing to the right or even a bit towards the front. 

7. Replace the white control housing, making sure the switch isn't in a position that vibration may cause the switch to engage.

8. Replace the dash trim.

9. Reattach the lower dash panel under the steering column.

10. Enjoy complete control over your HVAC system!

Back to Top View hintonl's Profile Search for other posts by hintonl

JPNNH

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote JPNNH

Thanks for the info but thats miles over my head...I did what fossilfronty did & pulled the AC Comp fuse & left it inside the fuse box so it will be handy if I want to run AC (I will turn it on a few minutes every few weeks this winter to keep it lubricated)....Thanks for the help...

fossilfronty

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote fossilfronty

that's a pretty good hack there.  i'll let y'all know when I put the switch inline.  Probably bethru a relay in a few weeks.  Rather short on spare time

mwcoleburn

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote mwcoleburn

There is an actual reason that the system is engineered that way. When defrosting the air is run through the condenser of the ac system to remove humidity. It is a more effecient defrost than blowing hot moist air on the glass... Just breath on a window and you get an idea of how it works. So your defrost air drops 10 degrees or so but will still defrost better than the etra heat because of the humidity
Back to Top View mwcoleburn's Profile Search for other posts by mwcoleburn

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version