Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Odd AC Issue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lemoninspector

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Lemoninspector

Generally when you get cold and then go warm it is freezing up. The evaporator coils become a wall of ice and the flow of air stops and things get warm inside. Then it thaws and you get cold again. This usually happens when the system is low on refrigerant. These systems work with cycling switches so you get real cold and freeze up them it cycles off to thaw and it gets cold again. You need to correct the leak and add the proper amount of refrigerant and check the cycling switch.   

dcsmith

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote dcsmith

I had a mechanic check the charge while he was doing the timing belt.  He said it was good.

I like the thermal control amp. idea pretty good.  I ordered and received it already.  I just got to get the truck back in town.  I've been doing a timing belt on my daughters honda (she has truck).

BTW I now know why it cost so much to have a timeing belt put on.

Back to Top View dcsmith's Profile Search for other posts by dcsmith

tonkasc01

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 01 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote tonkasc01

if the heatindex is over 110degrees when it happens it is a low charge in the system the heat index is killing the cooling most cars and trucks are set for a max of 100degrees and i know here in coastal alabama it is over 110degrees heat index on a normal summer day but it will probley work right at night when temperature falls and the system balances out just drop a little 134a in and see what happens as for the defrost run it it will reduce the humidity level and cool faster check the ac fresh air filter to it should be cleaned every ten oil changes.

dcsmith

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 02 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote dcsmith

This problem existed prior to the very extreme heat indexes we experienced in August.  I got the part and haven't even gone out to look to see if I can find where it goes.  I don't drive the truck; my wife does.  When she doesn't come home talking about how hot it is in her truck, I don't even think about it.  My Ford doesn't seem to care about the heat index; it works good.

What about that fresh air filter?  Where is that?

Back to Top View dcsmith's Profile Search for other posts by dcsmith

tonkasc01

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 02 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote tonkasc01

the manual i think tells you if not ask a mech. that can cause the evap coil to freeze over. i know on most gm's it is under the right side wiper in the black plastic valance

skateparkdave

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote skateparkdave

I'm having the EXACT problem with my 2001 SC extended cab. Exact! See my thread posted last week. I have had it charged and leak checked but the technician had no answers for the problem.

I was looking at a dumb haynes manual that doesnt even cover my SC truck but I noticed in the AC trouble shooting section it tells you to unplug the high pressure switch, located on the dryer canister at the top left of the radiator, and jumper it with a wire and if the compressor kicks on when jumped. The system is either low on freon or over filled (read high pressure) or theres a bad plug or sensor.

Here's the crazy part. I was expecting a two wire plug but when I unplugged it to run the check it was a 4 wire plug. So I was like "great" because I now dont know what wires to "jumper". I decided to play it smart and just wait. My luck I'd jumper the wrong wires together and melt the whole truck down. So, I just plugged it back in. Now heres the crazy part. I have driven the truck and parked in the sun and went in stores and whatnot (the things that usually caused it to not work) and it has worked flawlessly ever since. That was last week and It hasn't messed up since.

The truck was completely off when I did this. So I'm guessing it was some short or corrosion in that plug or something. I dont know what I did or if it was just a fluke but my problem is seemingly gone (knock on wood).

Maybe you (original poster) should try it. It's easy and it cant hurt. Just locate the dryer can and with the motor off unplug the plug and clean it and inspect it and plug it back in. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I have deliberately driven in the hot texas heat and parked in the sun and waited two mins, then 5 mins , then 30 mins, then 1 hour and turning it off and on to try and make it happen but the AC is staying on  now and it works great.

I cant imagine what unplugging that plug and plugging it back in with the truck turned off could have done. I just know my problem has been gone since.

I wish I could provide a rock solid solution because this may just be a coincidence. I just know I was having the EXACT same trouble you described and it was progressively getting worse in the July and August heat.  I only did what I described and the gremlin is gone.

Hope this helps,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version