Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 1998 Cruise Control Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Frontier
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Master Admin

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Frontier

The cruise control on my 98' Frontier has just stopped working. The main cruise control "Power On" light will come on when I hit the switch, but when I try and set the cruise using the steering wheel controls it will never engage and the "Cruise" light on the dash will not come on.

Since the main switch "Power On" light works, it seems that power is going to the system, but it just won't engage. Anyone have this problem or have any ideas?

Mahalo

Vebro Solutions Advertisement Network

Back to Top View Frontier's Profile Search for other posts by Frontier Visit Frontier's Homepage

Frontier
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Master Admin

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 11 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Frontier

Just wanted to update all of you on this cruise control issue. I never got a chance to troubleshoot my cruise control, but recently my brake lights came on and would not turn off even if the brake pedal was not being pressed. After looking into the brake issue I discovered that the brake pedal itself has a "stopper-rubber" piece listed as P/N 46512 in the bottom right corner of the drawing posted below and that is what depresses the switch for the brake light in when the pedal is not being pushed. When I discovered that the rubber piece for the brake switch had fallen out,  I also noticed that the "stopper-rubber" piece for the cruise control was missing as well. I decided to go to my local auto parts store and look for a rubber piece that might fit in the hole and would do the job of the old piece. This decision was made based on Nissan parts costing a little more just because they are from Nissan. In this case I was completely satisfied with a grommet used for door panels in GM cars and purchased a set of two for under $3 total. I popped the grommets into the hole on the brake pedal and sure enough the brake light worked again. Next I went out for a drive and activated the cruise and guess what! It was working again. Since the piece had fallen out, the cruise system always thought the brake was being pushed and therefore never activated.

This small brake light switch problem was initially scary, but led to solving my mystery of the cruise control as well. I am a happy camper once again! Hope this helps someone in the future as well.

Vebro Solutions Advertisement Network

Back to Top View Frontier's Profile Search for other posts by Frontier Visit Frontier's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version