Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: HORRIBLE GAS MILES Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
boneyard10

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote boneyard10

Hey every one its me again with the gas mil on the 08 crew cab 2 wheel auto. I said I would let everyone know what the dealer said. You ready for this? Oh ya nothing wrong or that is what the computer told them. Well its a 21 1/2 gl tank abd I drove like a grandpa at 55 cruise all hwy. I get 300 mi to the tank if I push it. I dont like to go below a 1/4 of a tank. So normally 280 mi to the tank. I really am thinking I made a bad decision buying this truck. I have had it two weeks now and have put a little over 1500 mi on it. All I can obsess about is how much I have to fill the  truck up. I asked the service manager about  it needing to be broke in and he said should not effect it and that they have not had anyone complain about the gas. So roughly i, still getting 13-14 mi to a gl. Any suggestions? Thanks

87 ranger
87-s-10
88 nissan pick up 4x4 :)
87 cavalier
71 nova ss
Back to Top View boneyard10's Profile Search for other posts by boneyard10

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

A few thoughts.  Inflate your tires to about 38-39 psi at cold.  Switch to  synthetic motor oil.  Don't allow for much warmup time in the morning. Check the fluid level in your rear diff, add if needed and sometime give it a change using a 75-90 syn fluid like Mobil 1 gear oil. Accelerate slowly and roll up to stops.  Remember that hard acceleration eats gas.

You don't say where you are located but winter blend gas can really affect mileage.  Try a brand name gas and try different octane ratings.  Some here use regular and some hi-test.  Mine does better on the latter and with my 2007 V-6 4 wheel drive SE, I can get about 25 hiway if I fill up when the engine is warm (no cold start involved) and drive long distances at or below 60 mph.  Also, are you sure your trans is locking up and that you are running in D on the gear selector (stupid question, I guess, but worth a look).

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

66L72

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote 66L72

hello Boneyard

i see that you sent me a PM.

i was not able to open it. you can reach me at bob.macd@rogers.com

my mileage is still crap also. i find that the travel computer in the dasboard is very accurate. My last tank 230 miles.

to the other members:

do us a favor and provide the reading on your trip computer right now.

and next time you are out reset it and try to do 10 miles at 70 mph and let us know your reading........ i will post a table if we get enough information.

like boneyard i cant help but think there is something wrong with our trucks.

Back to Top View 66L72's Profile Search for other posts by 66L72

DaChief

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote DaChief

If I go 10 Miles @ 70 MPH I'll have to report back if the Frontier FLOATS! :-}

Old friends; they mean much more to me than the new friends; because they can see where you are; and they know where you've been!
Back to Top View DaChief's Profile Search for other posts by DaChief

boneyard10

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote boneyard10

Well guys other than the gear oil/synthetic I do the rest like excellerating slow and I just tried 93 octaine did not work so far by the  way. I do 55 with cruise. I think I got  around 2000 mi on it now and I have had it like 2 weeks crew cab 2 wheel se. I am going to  bring it back to the dealer again after this tank I am peeved let me tell you. The service guy said there is a hi end and a low end and unfortunate for me I am on the low end he said! So what do you do. Oh ya bout the cold air in take and the throttle body spacer. Would it be worth it for me to add a little gas mileage? DO they work? I did have a k/n in take on my blazer did not pay attention to the gas really but I did notice a little more umph. Well thanks guys I will be talking to you. Oh ya I am in NC.

87 ranger
87-s-10
87 cavalier
71 nova ss

paris1

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote paris1

Boneyard10: Somehow I get the impression that you may not be actually calculating your gas mileage (miles driven divided by gallons of gas consumed), but relying on the trip computer reading and/or the level of fuel showing on the fuel gauge. Tell me I'm wrong if this is not so. If it is, you need to do the actual math to see if your actual mileage is really as bad as your "perceived" mileage.
Back to Top View paris1's Profile Search for other posts by paris1

boneyard10

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote boneyard10

That is how I ge my mileage say for example I get 280 and I bought 16 gls of gas then divide the two. Actually that is what I mormally get is 280 and I dont run it below a 1/4 of a tank because it is not good for the fuel pump. I ran 93 in it to see if it will be any better all I know so far it costed me a whole heck of a lot more.

87 ranger
87-s-10
87 cavalier
71 nova ss

66L72

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote 66L72

paris1 wrote:
Boneyard10: Somehow I get the impression that you may not be actually calculating your gas mileage (miles driven divided by gallons of gas consumed), but relying on the trip computer reading and/or the level of fuel showing on the fuel gauge. Tell me I'm wrong if this is not so. If it is, you need to do the actual math to see if your actual mileage is really as bad as your "perceived" mileage.

i have verified the trip computer on a number of occassions........ it is dead accurate on my truck as far as i can tell......... my last tank was 240 miles right down to about 20 miles past the zero miles to empty signal........

Back to Top View 66L72's Profile Search for other posts by 66L72

paris1

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote paris1

66L72 wrote:

I have verified the trip computer on a number of occassions........ it is dead accurate on my truck as far as i can tell......... my last tank was 240 miles right down to about 20 miles past the zero miles to empty signal........

I guess I'm not familiar with newer trip computers that have the kind of accuracy you are speaking of here (my '07 XE doesn't have this feature). My frame of reference is the computer in my old '98 Dodge Dakota which consistently gave readings that were 1-2 mpg pessimistic. Maybe the technology is different on the Nissan unit, but it's hard to imagine a "dead accurate" device of this sort with all the variables involved.

Back to Top View paris1's Profile Search for other posts by paris1

baltoguy

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote baltoguy

I have 4WD SE Crew Cab Long Bed in MD and do mainly suburban driving (not much highway) and typically get 14.2 mpg.  FYI, the EPA changed the MPG estimates that were posted on window stickers since most of us bought our trucks.  For example, the EPA estimate used to be 16 city/20 highway for my truck, now EPA estimate is 14 city/19 highway, so my 14.2 mpg calculation falls within their revised mpg estimates.  See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.j sp?column=1&id=23689

I like having a truck, but I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle to drive to work to save gas and for fun for those days I really don't need to drive a truck!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version