Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: over heating Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
supbud

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

been having problems with my truck overheating especially in the summer time. i took it to the shop they told me it was the fan clutch so i had it changed out well that worked for a month then it started running hot again i just kept my heat on and it would level back out so i took it back to the shop they tell me its the thermostat so i had that done that worked for ab month and half and it still running hot..............i usually just put a little bit of anti freeze in it and it does fine. tonight is been pretty cold here it was like 30 something degrees and so i got going down the road and look down and its ab to red line so i cut the heat on and the heater is blowing straight cold air but it brought the temperature back down then when i slowed down and it shot right back up and started blowing hot air and then it cooled off and went back to blowing cold air again.......................any suggestions of whats wrong with it????????
Back to Top View supbud's Profile Search for other posts by supbud

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote lakota

supbud:

... The two most common causes are thermisat (sticking or upside-down) and/or a collapsing intake hose. A 50-50 antifreeze mix gives a higher boiling point for better protection.

COOLING QUICK CHECK LIST update 06.16.04

Air trapped in the system?

Pressure or coolant leak?

Factory recommended coolant mix?
Overflow bottle filled?

Is the shroud installed?

Is the fan in proper position in shroud?
A big spring in the lower intake hose?
Thermostat stuck closed?

Thermostat right side up?
By-pass coolant flow blocked?

Heater core flow blocked?

Fan clutch not engaging completely?

Is the fan clutch HD?

Is a replacement electric fan under powered?
Fan belts properly tightened?
Idler pulley bearing frozen up?
Got small under-drive pulleys?

Coolant temperature Sensor having issues?
Is the temperature gauge having issues?
Is the water pump impeller, bearings or seal having issues?

Is the pressure cap tight and working?

Air dam installed?

Is there strong airflow over the exhaust manifolds?

Have scoops or louvers changed airflow under the hood?

Has the carburetor cool air intake been removed?

Bugs, dirt or wrong type of paint in cooling cores?

Is the core large enough for engine mods?

Rust or scale in the coolant?

Are rust or scale deposits lodged in the passageways of the heads or block?

Are tubes in the core blocked from old repairs?

Air baffles properly installed near the core?

Is timing (vacuum advance and centrifugal advance) and tuning properly set?

Is the catalytic converter and exhaust free flowing?

Is the exhaust heat riser working correctly?

Is an automatic transmission problem putting extra heat in the radiator?

Are A/C and oil coolers adding more than normal heat?

Is the gear-ratio proper for highway driving?

Are the brakes dragging?

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..

It would be nice if our members would add their vehicle information to their signature (similar to mine) plus add their City and State . A member in the same town might be willing to drop by and help you with a problem. Or drink all your beer

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

You say "I usually put a little anti-freeze in it and it does alright."  Could be you are losing coolant.  All your symptoms point to that.  Check the cooant level in the radiator (only when the engine is cold).  You might have a leaking head gasket or a cracked head or block where the coolant disappears through the cylinders so you don't see the leak.  A pressure test of the cooling system will pick this up quickly.

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

i had it pressure tested not to long ago at the same place they supposedly put my thermostat and the thermostat gasket in......................well i just bought the thermostat and they didnt tell me i need a new gasket with it and they told me they would prolly could use the old one or some crap like i dunno but anyways it didnt fix it and i kept bringing back and i just got really fed up with them but after they pressure tested it this last time i was there they said my bottom coolant hose was lose and was kinda leaking so im going to check it out when i find some time.................i start working at auto zone so i can get some good deals on some stuff and im also in the auto mechanics program at the community college here so i can mess with it in class next week

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

Good luck.  Let us know what the problem is once you discover it.  it is always useful to know the resolution to these problems as it can help out someone else with a similar issue.  Hope your auto mechanics program is a good one and that it really engages you.

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

Maxbaby

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Maxbaby

What year truck?  What's the mileage?  Which engine? 

Has the rad or heater core been replaced (which would make me more suspicious about air in the system when it was refilled)? 

To start with, for the cost of that gasket, I'd be popping out the thermostat housing just to confirm it's in correctly.  I'm kinda thinking it's gonna be an upside-down thermostat because it almost sounds like some kind of obstruction in the flow of the coolant, but that's just a guess. 

The most bizarre story of overheating I have ever heard is actually my own story... My first car, a 1976 Ford Capri (No, not Mercury, Ford).  I had an overheating problem with it.  We flushed the system, individually flushed the heater core, actually replaced the rad, and still no change.  And then a family friend was looking at the fan blade that we'd pulled off the water pump for the umpteenth time and says "You know, this isn't a Ford part".  On closer inspection, the blades on this thing were reversed in their deflection from center, so instead of pulling air through the radiator and across the engine, it was blowing it forward into the radiator, so that whenever the car was in motion, the airflow was being obstructed through the rad by the force of the wind being blown forward... ???... No joke, couldn't believe it.  Went to the wrecker, got another blade, and it solved the problem.  We never did figure out what the fan blade was from, but there wasn't an automotive stamp on it.

If you've had a lot of problems with the place that did the work, go somewhere else.  I'd almost want another pressure test done somewhere else just to be sure.  

Back to Top View Maxbaby's Profile Search for other posts by Maxbaby

Nelson37

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Nelson37

Supbud,

Just a quick rundown on how the cooling system works.  The heat created from the combustion process is transferred through the cylinder walls and heads and into the water jackets that surround them.  When that coolant is hot enough (185-210 degrees depending on the thermostat) the thermostat opens and allows that hot coolant to get pumped into the radiator to be cooled down and is replaced by the coolant that was previously in the radiator getting cooled down by the airflow through it.  The water pump simply keeps the coolant flowing all the time. The thermostat is a temperature sensative valve that only opens when the coolant (on the engine side) is at this predetermined temperature and closes again after the much cooler coolant from the radiator rushes in.  The fan clutch is much like a thermostat in that it is also temperature sensative, only, when the temperature of the air passing through the radiator is hot enough, then the fan clutch causes the fan to "lock up" rather than slip like a "clutch".  In the "locked up" mode, it pulls more air through the radiator and will unlock when the temperature comes down.  Any air that gets stuck in the system will create "hot spots".  If the air that is trapped is under the thermostat, then the thermostat cannot sense the temperature (it can only sense the temperature through a liquid).  It is somewhat common practice to drill a small hole (1/32 - 1/16") in the flange of the thermostat to prevent any trapped air. If the hole is drilled any larger than that, it can cause the engine to run too cool because too much coolant is bypassing it.  The heater core is simply a small radiator that is housed inside the cab of the truck. There is a valve to control how much coolant is flowing through the core and a fan to blow that hot air through the vents. A leak coming from any part in the system will allow air to enter into the system, which is the purpose of pressure testing the system.  When filling the cooling system, fill the radiator up, then start up the truck and let it run with the radiator cap "off".  Watch the flow of the coolant as the truck heats up, when the engine hits the proper temperature (as determined by the thermostat) the thermostat will open and you'll see the level in the radiator drop suddenly.  As the level drops, add coolant into the radiator quickly until it is within 1-2" of the radiator neck.  Continue to let it run and watch the level and the temperature gauge.  The temp gauge should be steady between 185-200 and the level in the radiator should be steady. After about 5-10 mins. put the radiator cap on then watch the temp gauge, it should remain steady. Then take it for a test drive and continue to watch the temp gauge.  Also, a 50/50 - 60/40 mix of coolant raises the boiling point of the coolant.  If you apply pressure to the system in the form of the radiator cap, that also raises the boiling point of the coolant, which is why it's important to change out your radiator cap every few years.  NEVER USE CHEAP PARTS!!!!!!  You get what you pay for.  If you find one thermostat for $5 and one for $20, always buy the more expensive one.  You don't want to blow a head gasket because you saved $15.

While I didn't go over everything, I hope this gives you some idea of what your system does.  Make it a habbit to replace your coolant, thermostat and radiator cap at the same time, then replace the hoses AND clamps every other time you change your coolant.  This will prevent alot of headaches and give you "Peice of mind"

Take care!!

Back to Top View Nelson37's Profile Search for other posts by Nelson37

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

my frontier is a 2000 SE crew cab 4x4   3.3L   its got  almost 115,000 i bought it when it had 103,000

well last night started wanted to run hot again so i put some anti freeze in it and it hasnt done a thing since. but once my money situation gets to flowing i plan to get a better thermostat and new hoses i already replace the radiator cap with once i can release the pressure with so hopefully it will run well

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Nelson37;

Thanks for a very nice post. You might want to make a slight change to your article.

"There is a valve to control how much coolant is flowing through the core and a fan to blow that hot air through the vents."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The flow of coolant through the heater core in most modern vehicles is also used as a recirculation system when the thermostat is in the closed position. Do not impede this flow. It also helps cool certain areas of the engine when the thermostat is open. There is a door in the heater duct to control the amount of heat entering the cab.

The old cars had a cable controlled valve to regulate coolant flow to the heater core. 

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..

It would be nice if our members would add their vehicle information to their signature (similar to mine) plus add their City and State . A member in the same town might be willing to drop by and help you with a problem. Or drink all your beer!

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Nelson37

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Mar 01 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Nelson37

Lakota,

Like I told subpud, I didn't go over everything. I just wanted him to have the basics. Imagine if I would have gone into the reverse cooling systems on the corvette!  I figured I gave him enough info. and didn't want to make it too complicated.  Though yes, the old cars had cable actuated control valves to control the amount of coolant, some of the newer cars use vacuum operated control valves and now you usually don't see them at all.  It depends on the engineers and whether they just want to use the old technology or if they are actually willing to earn their income!  Though I'm a big fan of "It it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!"  I think manufacturers should constantly strive to "perfect" their product rather than change it every few years and have to keep working out the bugs.  Perfect the mechanical, but change the body!

If I'm ever in Ft. Worth, I'll make sure to stop by and drink all your beer!!!

Back to Top View Nelson37's Profile Search for other posts by Nelson37

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version