Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: over heating Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nelson37

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 01 2008 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Nelson37

Subpud,

While responding to lakota, it just dawned on me.  You probably have a coolant overflow bottle seperate from the radiator.  One that has a cap on it as well, giving you 2 caps!. Are you puting coolant in the overflow bottle or actually in the radiator itself?  Make sure the "radiator" if full, "then" worry about the overflow bottle.  Also, don't use a radiator cap that you can "release" the pressure unless the vehicle came from the factory with it.  They can cause even bigger headaches sometimes.

Hope this helps!

Back to Top View Nelson37's Profile Search for other posts by Nelson37

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 03 2008 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

radiator cap is fine..............................the overflow thing is for real about to over flow..................thats soon to be fixed when i flush it in class tomorrow....................

but anyways today  i was driving the truck started over heating again so i just got going down the road leveled back to normal.............so this afternoon when i got out of class it started doing it and i could smell anti freeze all outside of the front of the truck so i got down on the ground and pulled a cover back and i could see anti freeze leaking somewhere to the side of the radiator .................so hopefully its not going to be as worse as i thought but i will keep it up to date
Back to Top View supbud's Profile Search for other posts by supbud

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 04 2008 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

pressure tested the radiator cap and the radiator  and no leaks  my over flow was just pouring out the spout thing  we filled the radiator full of anti freeze and still hasnt ran hot since yesterday but the weather here has also changed yesterday it was 75 degrees outside and then it dropped tonight to 32 degrees so i guess ill wait till another warm day comes along and it will prolly start up again

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 05 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote dannyg

check all the fluids if the truck is an auto check tranny fluid and the oil it sound weird with auto if the truck has a tranny cooler it could blocke up and not allowing the right amount of air thew now check the oil if it looks high on the dipstick and thin could be head gasket

06 frontier 4.0 auto

Back to Top View dannyg's Profile Search for other posts by dannyg

Nelson37

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Mar 05 2008 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nelson37

Subpud,

dannyg has a point as far as the head gasket.  I didn't want to go down that road, but since you continue to have problems, it's always a possibility.  Pull your oil cap off and look at the underside of it.  Does it look kind of milky?  Like a shake?  Pull the dipstick out.  Does the oil on it look milky?  If no, then at least you probably aren't getting any coolant in the oil which can put a lot of premature wear on the rings and bearings. Remove the radiator cap and let the truck get up to full operating temperature.  Do you see air bubbles constantly coming up?  Try driving the truck with the radiator cap on only half way and see if it gets hot.  What this does is prevent the cooling system from building up pressure which could force the coolant into a cylinder through a blown head gasket/cracked or warped head etc...  If you can find a reputable shop near you, they should be able to test the cooling system for exhaust gas in it.  It's known as a "block check".

The cooling system is the most important part of your engine and can cost you the most money in the long run so don't cut any corners and take good care of it.  Keep us informed!!

Back to Top View Nelson37's Profile Search for other posts by Nelson37

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 05 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote dannyg

whats up if its a 4wheeldrive trust me on this mud and water gos every where check for blockage of any now is your fan kicking on at the right temp is it the t-stat in the motor the right temp to hope too here good news next time

06 frontier 4.0 auto

stevedave952

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote stevedave952

My 03 CC/SC/4x4 was over heating, only when stopped. I cleaned the gunk off the surface of the radiator (dirt, bugs etc.) by spraying water through the radiator from the back, and that took care of the problem...
Back to Top View stevedave952's Profile Search for other posts by stevedave952

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

i will prolly be doing that tomorrow did u use a pressure washer or a some type of degreaser or did u just use a regular water hose....................

update.....still hasnt ran hot the weather still have been kinda crazy around here it snowed the night before last and today it was nice out and it was like 70 degrees out
so i will keep everyone informed

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 10 2008 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote dannyg

dannyg here i`d use a water hose a presure washer could damage the fins of the radatior btw that dodge i have it took 2 days to get clean of all the clay yours might not be that bad take your time get the front and back of the radatior clean

06 frontier 4.0 auto

nismod

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote nismod

That is what mine was sort of doing (minus the overheating) but there was smoke coming from the overflow as this was boiling and then I was told that one bank has a damaged head gasket.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version