Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Modifications (Performance & Looks)
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Modifications (Performance & Looks)
Subject Topic: S/C Pullies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SC02Truck

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 28 2005 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote SC02Truck

Looking for peoples experiences on changing pullies on the S/C 01-04 frontiers?

Would the puller mark up the S/C and so would it void the warrenty? 

Do you have to do anything else to your egnine like bigger injectors? 

Please leave some comments.

Yellow Exterior, Dark gray interior
Back to Top View SC02Truck's Profile Search for other posts by SC02Truck

Supercharger1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Supercharger1

SC02Truck wrote:

I have experience with the Pulley and repairs/rebuilding of the Eaton M-62 supercharger. I have a Eaton 3rd generation supercharger on my 01 4x4 and its much more responsive over the factory installed M-62 design. This is due to the enhanced inlet and outlet ports and turbine spacing size. 

The Nissan supercharged (01-04 Frontier & Xterra) engine comes equiped with the Eaton M-62 roots base supercharger. This model (M-62) was adapted for the Nissan VG33ER (3.3L) engine and also comes with a 2.65" nose shaft pulley which keeps the supercharger top RPM well under the 14000 maximum RPM the M-62 was designed for and was tested at the equal of 100,000. mile driving time. http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/supe rchargers/index.asp

Pulley Boys http://www.pulleyboys.com/ makes three different but smaller (undersize) pulleys for this particular supercharger, 2.3", 2.4" & 2.45" and as a matter of fact they also have a new bolt on pulley system in lieu of the earlier press fit design. However it still requires the removal of the factory 2.65" pulley and a sleeve with a collar/flange base is still required to be press fitted onto the nose shaft of the supercharger. This is done by removing the EPDM guard which covers the S/C pulley (two 10MM bolts) and drive belt. Then you will need to remove the plastic plug that protects the female 8mm threads for inserting a 8MM threaded nipple into the center of the pulley. The pulley puller tool is used to connect to the nipple and is well know for the damage it does to the factory pulley when it is being removed and could become unuseable afterwards....The new undersize pulley of elect is simply press fitted back onto the nose shaft of the supercharger. If you purchase the new bolt on assembly then once the shaft sleeve and flange is press fitted onto the nose then changing the pulleys is a simple bolt on or off proceedure. BTW" Pulley boys also sells stock 2.65" pulleys as well.....

One problem of using any undersize pulley smaller than 2.4" on the M-62 is that the 2.3" size diameter pulley will allow the Eaton M-62 supercharger to exceed the maximum 14000 RPM which can cause sever overheating of the supercharger and considerable internal damage the turbines as well.  

Warranty issues can arrive regarding the factory installed supercharger unit if the dealer is educated enough to notice that the factory 2.65" pulley was changed (with a reduced diameter pulley) thus possibly voiding any warranty coverage for the unit and engine. Nissan is not the manufacture of the Eaton supercharger and the Nissan technicials/mechanics will not attempt to repair a damaged supercharger. They will simply remove the entire unit and replace it with a new one should a problem arise with the factory unit while covered under the engine warranty period as long as tampering (modifications) is not found to be present.

Larger fuel injectors can be had but unless you are going to enhance the engine....modified intake, exhaust, headers, cam(s) valves, ECU modification and so on then by just increasing the injectors will not produce any real benefit to the engine performance and HP output.  

When I was using the 2.3" pulley on the factory supercharger the PSI increased from 9 to a respectable 12+. I since removed the 2.3" pulley after installing the 3rd generation (enhanced) M-62 pulley and now can produce almost 14 PSI  without the 2.3" undersize and running with the stock 2.65" pulley.....

SC02Truck

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote SC02Truck

First off, thank you very much for the great responce.

So what your saying is that its not worth getting difference pullies because the s/c it self is weak?  Just get the newer version of the M-62 supercharger?

Ok now with your newer M-62 Supercharger on your truck, thus making twice as much boost, what else did have to do so you didnt blow up the engine.  Like did you do biger injectors so the A/F ratio doesnt get lean, did you reprogram the ecu, intake?  That type of stuff.  I have experience in boost, my last car was a civic that i turboed so i had to do alot of stuff since it was a N/A car to begine with.

You seem like the right person to talk to about this stuff so im just looking for as much info as i can about these trucks and there engines.

Yellow Exterior, Dark gray interior
Back to Top View SC02Truck's Profile Search for other posts by SC02Truck

Supercharger1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Supercharger1

Well the 2.3" undersized supercharger pulley does help make a noticable (butt dyno) difference and obvious PSI gain on the boost meter, engine performance and acceleration but...It would be most effective when combined with several other minimum/minor modifications that you can do that will NOT void your engine warranty as well.

Installing a freash air pop-charger (I use the JWTechnologies pop-charger) >> http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/ with a functional heat shield (I fabricated my own) will greatly help the inlet of cooler air to the throttle body, supercharger and engine. The M-62 supercharger and your (VG33ER) 3.3L low compression engine internal components can withstand double the normal PSI. So blowing up the engine by PSI is not likely unless you increase the size of the supercharger and combustion compression ratio dramatically. The lower S/C VG33ER engine block was designed for such high tollerance to pressure created by the supercharger.

The supercharged 3.3L (VG33ER) engine will also need proper exporting of spent exhaust gases while maintaining just the right amount of back compression air to the exhaust. The Magnaflow straight through design (single 2.1/2" inlet & dual 2.1/4" outlets) muffler is what you want to use on the S/C 3.3L combine with the pop-charger freash air intake.

Another small problem is that the ATI (Air Temperature Intake) sensor on the 01-04 S/C engines is preset to a fixed ratio. Nissan does this to help boast best gas milage of these vehicles. Only problem is that as the engine warms up past the warm-up stage the ATI sensor begins to restrict the amount of gasoline to be injected into the conbustion chamber of the cylinders and with that said; Less air with less gas means less HP output no matter what you drive. You can purchase this small device to correct the ATI setting problem from here >> http://www.nextlevelracing.com/?src=overture  I have used this same model on my engine for over three years now with no ill fated side effect or problems. The S/C VG33ER engine run slightly rich to begin with from the factory, by installing a Stage 1 G-Box or Stage II your engine will burn even richer. I onlt use 93 octane gasoline in my fuel system. 

Reprograming the ECU should be the last adjustment you do after all the other engine modification you want are installed. This is due to the fact that the ECU can be tweeked to respond to a variable band of different modifications and the effect each one has when used and/or combine. Otherwise you will need to re-program the ECU after each new modification you incorporate to your engine and this would be very expensive as well as down time consuming since our vehicle is render helpless (inoperable) without the ECU connected to it.

Water injection to the throttle body/supercharger is another way to help reduce heat build-up and operation temperatures of the supercharged engine but also tend to be a constant maintenance item as well. Intercoolers would be perfect but I have yet found one that is made to work in our relatively small engines.... 

TIP: Do NOT use any fuel additives or injector cleaner in your multi port fuel injected system other than Nissan recommended....The chemicals in some other fuel additives and well known injector cleaners can actually melt/burn the protective film on your factory injectors causing several different and expensive problems over time.

NEVER: Mix premium octane gasoline 91-93 with other gas of an octane level lower than this and Never use any gasoline with a octane level lower than 91 in your supercharged. Low octane gasoline will cause the supercharger to denotate, and abuse no matter how extreme and/or minor could cause sever damage to your engine. I always use 93 octane if available, otherwise I will only buy enought 91 or 92 octane gas to get me to a station that has 93 octane gasoline. 

counterbond

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote counterbond

Where exactly did you find a 3rd gen m62? i think they have them on bonnevilles? not sure? but they also have a 4th gen M62. Do you know anything about that guy? And you really make 14psi off the stock 3rd gen m62?

counterbond

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote counterbond

I emailed eaton today asking about the third gen M62 about a 14psi reading with the stock 2.65 pulley and this is the response i got

Hello Brandon
The units between 2nd gen and 4th are not that large
Yes the 5th gen is better then the 2nd gen and is a current production
gen level
I do not know of any M62 with the stock pulley doing 14psi
The standard output on a stock M62 is between 6 Psi and 8 Psi
As the Nissan unit had a purpose built housing , no 4th or 5th gen unit
is available
However if you can locate a late model M62 off a GM product you should
be able to make a adapter to fit it to your application
Regards

So...i dunno man you must have installed an M90 on accident?

BV

Handy121

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Handy121

Supercharger1 wrote:
SC02Truck wrote:

I have experience with the Pulley and repairs/rebuilding of the Eaton M-62 supercharger. I have a Eaton 3rd generation supercharger on my 01 4x4 and its much more responsive over the factory installed M-62 design. This is due to the enhanced inlet and outlet ports and turbine spacing size. 

The Nissan supercharged (01-04 Frontier & Xterra) engine comes equiped with the Eaton M-62 roots base supercharger. This model (M-62) was adapted for the Nissan VG33ER (3.3L) engine and also comes with a 2.65" nose shaft pulley which keeps the supercharger top RPM well under the 14000 maximum RPM the M-62 was designed for and was tested at the equal of 100,000. mile driving time. http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/supe rchargers/index.asp

Pulley Boys http://www.pulleyboys.com/ makes three different but smaller (undersize) pulleys for this particular supercharger, 2.3", 2.4" & 2.45" and as a matter of fact they also have a new bolt on pulley system in lieu of the earlier press fit design. However it still requires the removal of the factory 2.65" pulley and a sleeve with a collar/flange base is still required to be press fitted onto the nose shaft of the supercharger. This is done by removing the EPDM guard which covers the S/C pulley (two 10MM bolts) and drive belt. Then you will need to remove the plastic plug that protects the female 8mm threads for inserting a 8MM threaded nipple into the center of the pulley. The pulley puller tool is used to connect to the nipple and is well know for the damage it does to the factory pulley when it is being removed and could become unuseable afterwards....The new undersize pulley of elect is simply press fitted back onto the nose shaft of the supercharger. If you purchase the new bolt on assembly then once the shaft sleeve and flange is press fitted onto the nose then changing the pulleys is a simple bolt on or off proceedure. BTW" Pulley boys also sells stock 2.65" pulleys as well.....

One problem of using any undersize pulley smaller than 2.4" on the M-62 is that the 2.3" size diameter pulley will allow the Eaton M-62 supercharger to exceed the maximum 14000 RPM which can cause sever overheating of the supercharger and considerable internal damage the turbines as well.  

Warranty issues can arrive regarding the factory installed supercharger unit if the dealer is educated enough to notice that the factory 2.65" pulley was changed (with a reduced diameter pulley) thus possibly voiding any warranty coverage for the unit and engine. Nissan is not the manufacture of the Eaton supercharger and the Nissan technicials/mechanics will not attempt to repair a damaged supercharger. They will simply remove the entire unit and replace it with a new one should a problem arise with the factory unit while covered under the engine warranty period as long as tampering (modifications) is not found to be present.

Larger fuel injectors can be had but unless you are going to enhance the engine....modified intake, exhaust, headers, cam(s) valves, ECU modification and so on then by just increasing the injectors will not produce any real benefit to the engine performance and HP output.  

When I was using the 2.3" pulley on the factory supercharger the PSI increased from 9 to a respectable 12+. I since removed the 2.3" pulley after installing the 3rd generation (enhanced) M-62 pulley and now can produce almost 14 PSI  without the 2.3" undersize and running with the stock 2.65" pulley.....

Would you let me know any new stuff you have been through with SC's and pulleys like where they are sold besides pulley boys.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version