Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Vibration in Steering Column and Seats Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Phil

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Phil

Awhile back I posted the problem I continue to have with vibration in the steering column when the vehicle is in gear sitting at a light or stopped in traffic.  You can feel it in the wheel and in the column.  It will decrease somewhat if you put the truck in neutral.  At highway speeds, I can see the passenger seat shaking.  I would guess it is the same problem.  I have been to the dealer three times at least and get nothing but lip service.  My truck is an '05 SE 4x4, 4.0L, extended cab.  I was told by the service manager that they tested an '07 and it does the same thing so it must be characteristic of the new Frontiers.  I said "what you really mean is that it is a design problem!"   In any event I will get no action from the dealer; I am sure they are hoping my warranty will soon expire.  Today I went to an independent garage that I have a lot of faith in.  I asked them their opinion of the problem.  The owner told me he feels the problem is in the motor mounts.  They are not dampening the vibrations from the engine.  He said new mounts will not solve the problem because they are the same design.  Only a FSB or recall from Nissan to install redesigned parts will cure the problem.  Unfortunately, unless enough truck owners complain, Nissan will do nothing.  I would ask any of you out there with this problem, please raise a fuss with Nissan so they will wake up and take appropriate action to fix this problem. I have pretty much decided if I can't get any resolution by fall, I will sell the truck.  It is one of those things that keeps annoying me everytime I get behind the wheel, and I guess I am just too old to put up with it!

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote dannyg

danny here I`got an 06 its never seem to had any vibration and my friends 05 nismo never had an problem if it is the motor mount the motor would virbrat weird now i do`nt know what stae your from but in FL if u have 3 problems or the same one you can file a lemon law this is extrame but the dealer will get it fixed

06 frontier 4.0 auto

Back to Top View dannyg's Profile Search for other posts by dannyg

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

I have no vibrations like this in my 07 4X4 Crew Cab.  In fact, it idles so smoothly that it is hard to hear at stoplights. You may have a BAD motor mount or a loose spark plug.  I don't know if that would trigger the SES light or not. I had that situation on a Chevy Blazer.  Vibrated at stop lights like mad but never set a code.  Plug had vibrated loose just enough that at lower rpms it would allow compression to bleed off.

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

georgemenovia

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote georgemenovia

i have the same problem with the seat vibrating more then the steering column.

dealer say`s it is normal,just the engine cycling on and off.low emissions and all that.you are right that it is very agravating at a light for a long time.at 71 i just might sell it also when the warranty goes out.it all boils down to the luck of the draw.who was working on the assembly line that day!

Back to Top View georgemenovia's Profile Search for other posts by georgemenovia

guyren

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 29 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote guyren

The passenger seat in my '06 crew cab shakes at highway speeds as well. I thought it was the tires but I just switched to my summer tires and it does the same thing.

How annoying

Back to Top View guyren's Profile Search for other posts by guyren

Phil

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Apr 29 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Phil

I just hung up from speaking with a Nissan factory representative.  He told me that they do not have "vibration in the Frontier" as a problem they are trying to resolve.  He also spoke with the dealers who have serviced my truck.   They gave him the same story that the '06 and '07 models vibrate, so it must be normal for the vehicle.  I tried to convince him that it is a design problem with the Frontier.  He will check to see if the motor mounts were by chance changed on the '08 models, or if it is still the same part.  Several of you have posted to the forum that you are experiencing this same vibration problem.  Again I would ask you to COMPLAIN to Nissan.  Unless they hear from more than one voice, they will take no action to release a fix for this problem.  We paid a hefty price for these vehicles, and they should step up and resolve the issue.

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 29 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

1. Look under the seat at the mounting bolts … Is it a ridged mounting or cushioned (rubberized). The rubberized mounting could be the problem.

2. Look under the truck where the seat is mounted to the body. If there is no bracing near the mounting bolts it could be that the whole floor is vibrating.

Have a good one and see you later… Don S..

It would be nice if our members would add their vehicle information to their signature (similar to mine) plus add their City and State .

A member in the same town might be willing to drop by and help you with a problem. Or drink all your beer! One took my wife!... J/K

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

DaChief

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 29 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote DaChief

Aloha,

My 07 LE CC had the problem with the passenger seat for the first 1000 miles. 

I cycled the forward folding option of the seat a time of two, as well as adjusted the seat both fwd/rev and recline/straight - always ensuring that the seat was 'locking' into a notch and not floating on a point.

The violent shaking was reduced enough that I have to focus on the seat while driving to see any real movement.

Like you all, when I mentioned it to NISSAN, they came back with "Unable to duplicate the problem".

Mahalo & Iki Kokua

Bob

Old friends; they mean much more to me than the new friends; because they can see where you are; and they know where you've been!
Back to Top View DaChief's Profile Search for other posts by DaChief

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version