Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Overheating Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tcaff11

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 29 2008 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote tcaff11

I have an overheating issue and I have read some of the issues posted here.  A lot has been done, and still no solution, so allow me to start from the beginning.

I was driving home from a long hour drive and didn't realize it until I pulled into my neighborhood, that the engine was running hot.  I got out and saw it steaming from the radiator cap and could hear the coolant boiling.  There was radiator fluid sprayed all over the place and I think that the garage I just took it to that day forgot to put the radiator cap on all the way when they were doing thier "free" diagnostic tests.  The next day, I flushed the system several times and the fluid was rusty.  I put new coolant in and the truck overheated again.  It has about 105k miles, so I went ahead and replaced the waterpump, thermostat, all hoses and clamps, and on a side note, the timing belt, and all drivebelts.  I cleaned the radiator and changed the oil.  When I got it running again, I had the truck pressure tested and everything looked good. No leaks or anything.  I ran the truck for about 20 minutes and it started to overheat again.  I replaced the fan clutch and it still overheats.  This time, it overheats after I have been driving for close to 30 minutes.  I got on the interstate and once cruising on that at 65-70 mph for a sustained period of time (15 minutes) it starts to overheat.  If I just run around town, it has no problems.  When I was on the interstate and it started to overheat, I pulled over and checked some things.  There was no steam, odor, or noticeable overheating signs.  The upper hose was hot, but the lower one was only warm.  I would wait about 3-5 minutes and start the truck again, and the gage read normal operating temperature and I could make it about 10 more minutes before it would tell me the truck was overheating again. 

Could this be a problem with my gage or a sensor somewhere?  Waiting 5 minutes shouldn't allow the truck to cool that much.

I ran to Autozone and got the codes........just the knock sensor code.  That has been there for about 2 years now.  I'm stuck and really don't want to have to take it in. 

Keller, TX
Back to Top View tcaff11's Profile Search for other posts by tcaff11

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

Is the new thermostat in correctly or upside down?  Is the radiator itself clogged?  Your note on rust could be an indicator.  Are the fins in the radiator clogged with leaf or insect debris? Is the lower hose being "sucked closed" by the action of the water pump?

Just a few ideas to check out.  Hopefully others will add their thoughts!

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

tcaff11

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote tcaff11

The thermostat is in correctly and the radiator is not clogged.  I cleaned the fins when I had it out.  I haven't noticed the lower hose being sucked closed, but I'll check that out later today. 

Keller, TX

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

Does sound like the sensor is suspect, doesn't it?  Could be that your previous real overheating played hobb with the sensor and now that everything is running correctly, it is not responding properly.

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA

hintonl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote hintonl

I had almost the same issue their is 2 sensors on top of the t-stat housing the one closest to the front of the motrr is the problem I replaced both if I remember they were under 50.00

Back to Top View hintonl's Profile Search for other posts by hintonl

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

ive had the same dang problem its about to drive me crazy if i drive for ab 10-20 min on the highway it overheats and then goes back to normal i replace the thermostat and the radiator none of the hoses leak im just puzzled by it and almost to the point of trading it in........whats the name of the sensors????????
Back to Top View supbud's Profile Search for other posts by supbud

supbud

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote supbud

hintonl..... did that fix your problem replacing those sensors????????
Back to Top View supbud's Profile Search for other posts by supbud

tcaff11

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote tcaff11

Well, the other day I was driving, and the gage was telling me that it was getting hot, but I kept going.  Everytime I stopped before, the system was working fine and I was under the impression the sensor may be bad.  I continued driving it home and the truck was running hot for about 7 minutes before I got home.  The sensor is good, because the truck was boiling and steaming.  It still truely overheats.  I took it in this morning, and will let you know what they find out over the next few days.  I'm past the point of frustration and replacing things just to see if it does the trick. 

Keller, TX

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

tcaff11;

... You might pull a couple of spark plugs to see if you have carbon build-up or a lean burn fuel ratio. Carbon will screw up every thing in the engine including the EGR. Lean Burn will cause over heating on the highway.

You guys keep us posted as things turn out...Thanks...

Have a good one.. Don S..

Certain ethnic groups in the Middle East have many less retards than the USA...   They blow them up!

Here in the US we allow them to be Senators…

Now the whole world is going to hate America for burning food in our trucks. Can you spell Corn Ethanol?

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Boomer

When you replaced the water pump, are you sure you got one that rotates in the right direction?  I don't know about Nissan pumps but some Chevys, etc have pumps that run one way or another depending on what belt setup is used. 

Also, I am still thinking about the rust you found in your first post.  This can be i9ndicative of a lot of corrosion buildup in the system that is getting stirred up and clogging passages.  Have you done a power flush of the block?

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version