Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 98 Nissan Frontier won’t accelerate!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gandl2123

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 20 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

Yep, the fuel didn't smell fresh at all.  I thought about it myself.  I will work the pressure thing and then get that right before I drain it all out.

Thanks!

Back to Top View gandl2123's Profile Search for other posts by gandl2123

BIll

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: May 22 2008 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote BIll

Since you said it's automatic, put the truck back together and have the ecm checked. I worked on this several times on frontier and sentra.  email me @mrfixit671@yahoo.com
Back to Top View BIll's Profile Search for other posts by BIll

gandl2123

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 26 2008 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

Checked the fuel pressure and it was on about 40psi at ignition and then dropped to 38 or so steady.  Thought the book said 34..while running...

I am able to do the following:

1. Everytime I start the vehicle she sits there and purrs at idle.

2. If I want to push the gas and rev her up I simply push the gas slowly until she gets to 2,500 rpms or so and then I use my thumb to cover the inlet on the MAF hole, about 90% covered.  Then while my thumb is covering 90% of the hole I can sit threre and rev her up and down like a race car.  Engine soulds good and varoom, varoom. 

Then if I want to let her go back to idle I must remove my finger (90% covering the MAF inlet hole on the top of the throttle body) from covering the hole.  If I don't the vehicle will stall and shut off as it returns to idle.  If I take my finger off after reving her up the truck will drop back to a perfect idle.

Is it the MAF?

Thanks!

Mr. Tripp

Augusta, GA

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 26 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

sure sounds like MAF. Have you been using a genuine Nissan oil impregnated air filter???Also a possibility of broken or chafed wires a few inches from the MAF near the bracket on the throttle body. Pull on the wires to see if they are broken under the rubber insulation.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

gandl2123

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 26 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

The air filter seems to be a dry, normal air filter/filament.  I don't see anything but white paper type filter material.  At least that what I think I see...I will have to take a closer look.

Damn good idea on the wires...I will look at the harness and follow it back from the MAF to see if I have a wiring problem.  Sure tired of this stuff.  Yesterday I took her down the road to pull my son's Geo a few miles...I barely made it home.  If I just barely push the gas she will just barely make 1st, 2nd and then if I'm lucky have enough power or RPMs built to go into drive.  Forget a hill..ha!

Mr. Tripp, Augusta, GA

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 27 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

The MAF is very prone to contamination if a Genuine Nissan oil impregnated air filter is not used. Please check and see if it is a genuine filter # 16546-86G00.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

2011 John Deere X720SE

gandl2123

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 27 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

Oil inpregnated....you mean to tell me it is like an ole lawn mower and they put oil in the air filter to trap extra contaminants? 

I will check the next chance I get.  I have just parked her because I'm so upset.  There are no MAF codes at all. 

Thanks!

Mr. Tripp

Augusta, GA

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 28 2008 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

Yes, the element is impregnated with oil on all Nissans, except the Quest(Ford version).

'10 Altima SL

2011 John Deere X720SE

gandl2123

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 21 2008 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

UPDATE:

Today I finally received a new throttle body assembly and installed it on the truck with all new sensors that are attached with the throttle body....still the car does the same exact thing.

I will tell you this.  When removing the TB I noticed that the bottom of the intake was full of fuel.  Removed all of the fuel and installed the TB.  Then after the thing was doing the same thing I (for some reason) decided to pull the vacum off of the fuel pressure regulator and start it up.  When I did I had fuel coming out of the vacum hose going to the FPR.  

I felt I had a diaphram(sp) problem so I switched out the FPR and still will not accelerate.

Any ideas?  Distributor (cam sensor) or something to do with the spark advance mechanism?  I'm about to take it to Nissan and spend a fortune.

Mr. Tripp

Augusta, GA

gandl2123

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 17 2008 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

The truck is in the shop....so far they say every diagnostic they run is fine. There is no problems with ECM/Distributor/sensors...

They say it has got to be that I have the cam gears/chain (upper) off by a tooth or so.  The sensors are showing a lean condition at idle and then when you put the gas to the floor it goes extreme rich.  They say it must be cam timing. ???

Mr. Tripp

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version