Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Thermal control amplifier (ac issue) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rrrrebel

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged  

Hey guys I have been reading all the great info.  Thanks to everyone.  I do not have a Frontier but I do have a 2003 Murano (after 3 Pathfinders ! ) 

Anyhow I have been having heat/ac blower issues since day one that are becoming more frequent and of course not reproduceable at the shop !  Luckily I have not paid for any repairs or diagnostic yet cuz I don't trust ANY NISSAN dealership !!!!  Everyone I ever encountered is a cheat.

Neither heat nor AC blows very well when on "feet".  BUT the Biggest issue is that when I need AC the unit seems to be cooling and blowing. It just blows someplace else but not into the cabin.  If I switch to defrost it will not blow either.   This is not constant but it is chronic.  It usually happens if I drive an hour or more but lately even 15 minutes will start it.  Sometimes we can fidget with the controls for a while and "force" it to blow again sometimes the vehicle has to be completely off and restarted and sometimes nothing works and it just starts blowing again.

From reading all the post my self diagnosis seems to be the Blower Motor resistor... but could it also be the TCA ???  Could I have a combo issue?

Thanks again

Back to Top View rrrrebel's Profile Search for other posts by rrrrebel

houseoftime

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged  

I went to the local dealership to buy TCA switch. They claimed the my 2003 Frontier 3.3 (not supercharged)does not have one.  Can anyone advise?  
Back to Top View houseoftime's Profile Search for other posts by houseoftime

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:38pm | IP Logged  

Welcome to the group!!!

For parts try;

http://www.nissanwholesaleparts.com/

http://www.nissanwholesaleparts.com/faq.asp

or

http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/347106241

these places have a good track record!

lakota..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

neezy13

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged  

I registered for this site because of this topic. I have been experiencing the same problem for 2+ years and no one could figure it out. Then a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across this forum and this topic. Long story short, I ordered the part (found it for ~$30 online) it arrived yesterday and I will be putting it in today. I will update when I'm done. Thanks to everyone who has contributed their knowledge to this forum!

Back to Top View neezy13's Profile Search for other posts by neezy13

neezy13

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 11:29pm | IP Logged  

I put in my new TCA last Friday and it took about 45 minutes because it started raining in the middle of me working on it. By far the hardest part of the repair was getting all of the screws out of the black box. After 4 full days of mid-90's temps, I'm happy to report that I'm having no more ac problems. Once again I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this topic and saved me a whole bunch of cash!

Back to Top View neezy13's Profile Search for other posts by neezy13

2001frontiersc

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged  

Awesome! Thanks so much for this thread.

I've been living with intermittent A/C for about 2 years.  It worked enough to keep you "warm", but would never adequately cool the interior when it was good and hot out, because the compressor clutch would kick on and off every couple of minutes.

I dove in there today, and it was surprisingly easy to remove and locate everything.  I could only spread the two plastic "boxes" apart about an inch or two, and used a long flat-tip screw driver to pop the sensor loose.  There's also two air filters plugged into the plastic "box".  Mine were full of crud, so I took the time to vacuum the area out and clean the filters.

As a temporary fix (until I can pick up the part on Wed), I jumped the black and red wires together, which keeps the compressor going all the time.  Mine had three wires: red, black and white.

I wish I had heard about this in the springtime...  Because the compressor worked and it blew "cool" air, I figured the system was okay and just not as cold as others.  I'm glad I searched!

lpsengineer

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged  

Great discussion on this TCA thing. 

I have the same symptoms on my 1995 D21 hardbody pickup.  I verfied the TCA is outputting 5 volts when the clutch is off and 0 volts when the clutch is engaged, and the ECM module is switching the ground connection to the AC relay accordingly.  The pressure switch is not opening when the AC cycles.  If my TCA is bad, it must be that it is switching at the wrong temperatures.  Is that the normal TCA failure mode?  Talking to several friends - some say its normal for an AC to cycle, others say no.  This one cycles every few minutes.

Regarding my TCA, I think I have a different one than what has been described so far.  My TCA is a black module 1"X1.5"X2.0"mounted on top of the evaporator box with the thermistor wires leaving the module and entering back into the evaporator box (towards the driver).  There is one three wire connector to the module - I believe it goes to ground, the ECM control line (thru the pressure switch), and to +12V.  The evaporator box has snap clips instead of screws, with snapclips next the firewall side.  It appears to be a real big problem to R&R the module and thermistor.  Does anyone have any experience on this model?

Judging from the pictures in a previous post, the replacement part (red thingy) has no associated electronics, ala my black module.  One web site (courtesy, I think), showed the same part number that been quoted here as a replacement for mine.   Again - more confusion.  My local dealer says $85 for mine.

Does anyone have insight, or advice?  Thanks for some great feedback on the site.  (I just joined!) 

Florida Spacecoast

Back to Top View lpsengineer's Profile Search for other posts by lpsengineer

xtrudes

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 05 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged  

Hello. I registered to say that even if 50 certified master mechanics on this forum say that they do check the thermal control amp, I think it's just LIP SERVICE! 

Check all the forums out there regarding this issue. There must be several hundred people that went to Nissan certified repair facilities to have this intermitent AC issue rectified, and after hundreds of dollars if not thousands, had the same problem after the repairs by Nissan. I am one of those people. I replaced the TCA after Nissan replaced my compressor and high pressure switch for nothing! The stupid $39 dollar TCA was the issue all the time.

HOW CAN THESE NISSAN CERTIFIED MECHANICS BE SO OUT OF TOUCH WITH THIS ISSUE? 

WHY DOSEN'T NISSAN HIRE PEOPLE TO MONITOR THESE FORUMS?

If they did they would learn alot.  I know I did.

Xtrudes.

Back to Top View xtrudes's Profile Search for other posts by xtrudes

lpsengineer

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged  

lpsengineer wrote:

Great discussion on this TCA thing. 

I have the same symptoms on my 1995 D21 hardbody pickup.  I verfied the TCA is outputting 5 volts when the clutch is off and 0 volts when the clutch is engaged, and the ECM module is switching the ground connection to the AC relay accordingly.  The pressure switch is not opening when the AC cycles.  If my TCA is bad, it must be that it is switching at the wrong temperatures.  Is that the normal TCA failure mode?  Talking to several friends - some say its normal for an AC to cycle, others say no.  This one cycles every few minutes.

Regarding my TCA, I think I have a different one than what has been described so far.  My TCA is a black module 1"X1.5"X2.0"mounted on top of the evaporator box with the thermistor wires leaving the module and entering back into the evaporator box (towards the driver).  There is one three wire connector to the module - I believe it goes to ground, the ECM control line (thru the pressure switch), and to +12V.  The evaporator box has snap clips instead of screws, with snapclips next the firewall side.  It appears to be a real big problem to R&R the module and thermistor.  Does anyone have any experience on this model?

Judging from the pictures in a previous post, the replacement part (red thingy) has no associated electronics, ala my black module.  One web site (courtesy, I think), showed the same part number that been quoted here as a replacement for mine.   Again - more confusion.  My local dealer says $85 for mine.

Does anyone have insight, or advice?  Thanks for some great feedback on the site.  (I just joined!) 

Florida Spacecoast

Solved!!!

First, I proved my TCA was bad by verifying the dual pressure switch is staying closed while the clutch cycled.  Second, I drilled a small hole in the output side of the evaporator case and installed a small themometer and verified the temperature was about 40 degress and cycling - but never close to the 32-34 degree cutout temperature.  Sure looked like a bad TCA.  My electronic experience told me thermistors are passive components and shouldn't go bad.

I was able to remove my TCA with a right angle phillips ratchet and was able to get to the printed circuit board.  I unsoldered the thermistor wires and took the PCB to the bench where I replaced a BA10358 Op Amp IC with an MC1458 (standard run-of-the-mill Op Amp) - about 50 cents.  Put everything back together and all is well.  Now really cold.  Exit temperature is about 40 and never cycles.

Saved a bunch of money by being persistent and getting some good tips here.  Keep up the good work and thanks!

LPSEngineer

Back to Top View lpsengineer's Profile Search for other posts by lpsengineer

rolando42

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged  

Hello All, thanks in advance.  Similar to all symptoms above (cools, then stops cooling, sometimes not coming back to cold), I replaced the TCA following all posted instructions.  Was really careful and removed and replaced with new TCA but unfortunately still having the AC get warm and stay blowing hot air.  2004 Nissan Frontier.  Suggestions appreciated?

Back to Top View rolando42's Profile Search for other posts by rolando42

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version