Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Thermal control amplifier (ac issue) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
earnold25

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged  

cool, if you could let me know the part number of the 2 wire tca that'd be awesome.  my searches are coming up with nothing.

also, my high pressure hose is also toast.  there's a coating of dye and oil all over it.  my low pressure hose has a small leak near where the rubber hose meets the metal part, closer to the firewall.   guess i'll be ordering hoses as well. 

bcaughhorn wrote:

my 04 frontier has been giving me the same problems. went to nissan today and bought the tca. of course they had plenty instock. they sold me one with three wires mine has two. guess i will be going back in the morning.i will let everybody know after i get the rite part if it fixes my problem.(most likely will)

i replaced the high pressure hose about two months ago. seems to be another nissan issue.

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 7:31am | IP Logged  

earnold25 wrote:
cool, if you could let me know the part number of the 2 wire tca that'd be awesome.  my searches are coming up with nothing.

also, my high pressure hose is also toast.  there's a coating of dye and oil all over it.  my low pressure hose has a small leak near where the rubber hose meets the metal part, closer to the firewall.   guess i'll be ordering hoses as well. 

bcaughhorn wrote:

my 04 frontier has been giving me the same problems. went to nissan today and bought the tca. of course they had plenty instock. they sold me one with three wires mine has two. guess i will be going back in the morning.i will let everybody know after i get the rite part if it fixes my problem.(most likely will)

i replaced the high pressure hose about two months ago. seems to be another nissan issue.

will do. i do remember spending 105$ on the high pressure hose. it was leaking on the aluminum crimp not the hose

Back to Top View bcaughhorn's Profile Search for other posts by bcaughhorn

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged  

the 2 wire TCA part number is 27723-8J000. it was 35.99 after tax

my compressor is running my low side pressure is reading 70. it will not take anymore freon. i only put maybe a half can. i changed the expansion valve and pulled a 30lb vacume on the system. it will not take anymore freon or blow cold air. anybody have any ideas?? i dont want to keep throwing money at the truck i want to fix the problem. my wife and kids need cold air

earnold25

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged  

i'm no expert but it sounds to me like there's a clog / resistance somewhere.  if its holding a steady charge, the refrigerant just isn't getting to the evaporator.  what's the high side reading?

since you changed the x valve, i'd personally next change the pressure switch and the dryer (since you'd be opening up the system for the pressure switch).   The dryer needs to be replaced after about 5 years or so anyway (if you're having issues).

bcaughhorn wrote:

the 2 wire TCA part number is 27723-8J000. it was 35.99 after tax

my compressor is running my low side pressure is reading 70. it will not take anymore freon. i only put maybe a half can. i changed the expansion valve and pulled a 30lb vacume on the system. it will not take anymore freon or blow cold air. anybody have any ideas?? i dont want to keep throwing money at the truck i want to fix the problem. my wife and kids need cold air

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged  

idk what the high side is i just have a cheap gauge that came on a hose from advance for the 134 can...

idk maybe i will pull the evap back out and try to flush it out. if thats not the prob maybe the compressor is bad but the clutch is still good??

meyerdel

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged  

Hey there bcaughhorn, I'd like to know where you got that two wire TCA (that's with the thermister, right?) for that price. I was quoted a lot more and I held off buying it.

Back to Top View meyerdel's Profile Search for other posts by meyerdel

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged  

i got it from chris meyers nissan in daphne, al

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged  

ok. i just bought a cheap set of gauges. the high side is reading about 75psi and the low side is reading about 68.

so does that mean i need a compressor????

JuanSolid

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged  

Thanks to everyone so far for all the inputs.

My moms 02 xterra (with 01 parts based on the speaker wiring being from a 01 xterra) had lost air conditioning and she also blew out all her speakers a month or so before this (may mean nothing, but id figure all information helps with diagnostics).

I did a dye test and it really revealed nothing and her air blew cold. this however lasted maybe 1-5 days based on what she tells me. I bought a keychain black light and some new refrigerant kit with a psi tester that is detachable. Both kits had leak seal. the only place the kit would fit is at the right (drivers side), under the wipers, and all the way to the back where the upper hose is. This part leads to the compressor and goes all the way to the passenger side and through the firewall, presumably to the TCA area we are talking about behind the glove box.

So the dye test revealed after the second fill up that there was indeed a very light leak from where the upper hose metal meets the compressor near the front of the vehicle, but I was not able to get more than a hint of it from the dye, so i thought it was getting used up. However it should not leak at all, so i bought a gasket kit that had tons of o-rings from rock auto for the ac system. I ended up replacing both good looking o-rings off the lower and upper connections to that compressor. Here is the kicker.

I noticed that when running and filling the ac up I could hear the compressor kick on just fine, but it was only when I am filling it up and all after tests have been hearsay from my mom. I also noticed that when I filled it up the second time the pressure gauge stated the pressure was dropping as in it it would be at about 38, I would stop it would drop down a bit, but would keep dropping slightly. Since i saw the dye I figured if it happened to lose cold again I would replace the ring and see a difference in the test.

She lost the cold, i bought a 3rd can and figured her leak is depressurizing the system. So I went to replace the rings first and boom, had to wait a few minutes while die poured from the compressor. Ok my mistake, but also makes me think the TCA is now likely. Replace the o-rings like I said, fill it up, and I see the same pressure drop I mentioned, but it seemed less noticeable by going from about 35-34.

For the life of me I can't find a leak anywhere in the engine compartment, and the fact that the compressor turns when I add r134a confuses me also, because to my knowledge the TCA would not let the compressor turn no matter what if it's bad, or it would be intermittent and 3 out of three fills have it always working at that time. I am starting to think the 'leak' I found previously was not so severe, since there was still a whole heck of lot of dye in the system and loads of pressure that needed to be relieved (All over my hands and around the compressor). Where would the evaporator be located in general?

Also does anyone know if it's unusual to cut the engine, even if you turn the ac off first, and hear a growl/gurgle/release of pressure sound from the vents? I have heard this complaint from my mother as well as in another forum as well. It goes on for quite sometime which is abnormal, but I drive and work on a 96T-bird usually. The bird does it for maybe 1-2 seconds tops, and that's only if you cut the engine before having the dial to the off position because it normally makes no sound, while this seems to be more like 4-7+ as you have time to actually put your ear to the vent and think (what is that?) and think for awhile.

@bcaughhorn I think 75 is way to high because it reads red/danger on my 'came with the can detachable pressure gauge and it says may have mechanical problems... However I am no expert but it does sound like your going to end up replacing the evaporator and compressor unless someone can give you a full proof method for checking both. If it's going in, but not coming out, something is clogged and if both readings should be the exact same the compressor is in-between those two ports.

Or heck for all I know the pressure buildup is way to high and to avoid damaging something one of your parts could be fail safe off. in which case drainign the system completely and filling it up to 35-40 only on the fill side could work. :/.

Due to the high failure ratings of these TCA parts I have been hearing I would say there is a possibility of a lemon on that part. According to what I have read to bypass the sensor you can take it off and put a wire across both connections. with it disconnected ac will never work. Also someone stated you have to put it back in a very specific spot because it can fit in a few of them..... I'd double check that for the heck of it too.

Anyway sorry for the long post, but the more information the better chance someone will be able to see an obvious issue I am overlooking. Also sorry about talking about an xterra here, but like someone else said, this is the best place for info on the TCA/ac issue according to any search engine out there lol.
Back to Top View JuanSolid's Profile Search for other posts by JuanSolid

earnold25

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 6:21pm | IP Logged  

bcaughhorn wrote:

ok. i just bought a cheap set of gauges. the high side is reading about 75psi and the low side is reading about 68.

so does that mean i need a compressor????

high side should be reading about 2.5 times ambient temperature.  (usually over 200, with the a/c on highest setting and fan on full blast)

low side seems a bit high though.  overcharging would also cause restricted movement of refrigerant in the system as well. 

have you evacuated the system completely?  refilled with recommended amount?

compressor is the most expensive replacement (and least likely thing to fail...despite what the service dept. tells you) so I'd rule everything else out first. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version