Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

General
 Nissan Frontier Forums : General
Subject Topic: Synthetic ATF (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Frontyfan

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 26 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged  

Not to flame the Amsoil believer anymore, however, I noticed some discrepancies in his statements, such as....

hotajax- you first stated:

"Now that  my  drive  train warranty expired, I rolled the dice. I use Amsoil Full Synthetic ATF in my Frontier."

then, when challenged, you indicated:

"I have been using Amsoil products for the last 6 years in everything that has any orifice whatsoever.  I have not had a problem with any of them.  I also love the extended drain intervals on just about all Amsoil products."

.....so which is it, if you believe in Amsoil products so vehemently, why would you be "rolling the dice". Other than you must know that just because Amsoil is a quality synthetic lubricant, that it might not be the best lubricant for all applications. If it was, then nobody would buy anything else and Amsoil would have a monopoly on the market. I use Mobil 1 as I have stated before, and if I found that it wasn't working for my application, I'd try and find another synthetic lubricant that works better for my truck. This is because depending on which engine , diff, tranny, a lubricant is, they all have diff properties, clearances...etc. and some oils don't withstand certain stresses as well as others. Also, with the older Frontiers like I have, their oil capacity is relatively small compared to engine size, the newer Frontiers have a better displacement to capacity ratio IIRC. This means that there is less oil to dissipate heat, to suspend contaminants...and so on and so on. Yes, filters are supposed to clean the oil up, but they also have a limited capacity. As a matter of fact, I am looking into a remote oil filter add-on to get almost another quart of oil capacity, because the kit I am looking at uses the same size as teh Fram PH8A, or similiar size filters, if you are familiar, they are a good size filter.

Anyway, I personally don't have a huge problem with Amsoil, I have seen UOA reports and they seem to show well, but there are plenty of other oils that do well also and don't cost as much. I just choose not to buy Amsoil, because I feel it's a bigger hassle than it's worth, for me. If you are interested, there is an ongoing thread with another member and myself, where we are running tests on oils as we drain them, he is testing Amsoil, I am testing Mobil 1 products.

The big point is, hotajax, you are free to put whatever you want in your Nissan, of course the dealer will steer you to their products, why, because they have been engineered by, or in conjunction with OEM standards to meet the needs of the manufacturer. You are warranty free now, so you should have no issues, just don't get all hot under the collar when others disagree with you. Also, you might have been prematurely labeled an Amsoil dealer, because we have had people in the past join the forum and tout Amsoil as almost a cure-all for fuel economy, and whatnot, which can get pretty annoying. Just FIY.

hsckris
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 26 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged  

This is not a Nissan sponsored forum to my knowledge, I have no affiliation with Nissan other than owning a vehicle, and I am not even part of this forum's administation/exec./anything other than being a member.

I do 99% of all of my maintenance/repair work.  I changed my own fluid (heck, I'd probably bet that you don't and you goto some quicklube that offers amsoil -- if you did it yourself you'd realize how lazy and ignorant it is not to change fluid regularly).  I'm not just blindly being led to the dealer, I'm trusting that a car manufacturer knows more about the vehicles they put together than some fly-by-night snake oil company (read: Amsoil;  I don't care about the 'testimonials,' I consider Amsoil as valuable as the Tornado and other such garbage.  No engine oil chemically can or should last 50k... anyways). 

Do I run Nissan motor oil? No, b/c it calls for 5w30, not anything specific.  I run Mobil1 fully synthetic by the way.  Do I run Nissan trans fluid? Yes, b/c it calls for Jmatic and I know people who have not run it and had problems SOLELY b/c of that decision.  You do what you want... roll the dice, its your truck. 

I highly recommend everyone else follow the factory service manual & factory service intervals.  You trusted Nissan's knowledge on how to build a truck, why not trust their knowledge on how to maintain it?

hotajax
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged  

Express  my opinion, and I sound like Clinton.  Just giving the facts.  You don't like what I say, don't read my posts.  Like I won't read yours.  Mopar?  Sign of a low IQ.< ="text/">_popupControl();

hotajax
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged  

[QUOTE=Frontyfan]

Not to flame the Amsoil believer anymore, however, I noticed some discrepancies in his statements, such as....

hotajax- you first stated:

"Now that  my  drive  train warranty expired, I rolled the dice. I use Amsoil Full Synthetic ATF in my Frontier."

then, when challenged, you indicated:

"I have been using Amsoil products for the last 6 years in everything that has any orifice whatsoever.  I have not had a problem with any of them.  I also love the extended drain intervals on just about all Amsoil products."

.....so which is it, if you believe in Amsoil products so vehemently, why would you be "rolling the dice". Other than you must know that just because Amsoil is a quality synthetic lubricant, that it might not be the best lubricant for all applications. If it was, then nobody would buy anything else and Amsoil would have a monopoly on the market. I use Mobil 1 as I have stated before, and if I found that it wasn't working for my application, I'd try and find another synthetic lubricant that works better for my truck. This is because depending on which engine , diff, tranny, a lubricant is, they all have diff properties, clearances...etc. and some oils don't withstand certain stresses as well as others. Also, with the older Frontiers like I have, their oil capacity is relatively small compared to engine size, the newer Frontiers have a better displacement to capacity ratio IIRC. This means that there is less oil to dissipate heat, to suspend contaminants...and so on and so on. Yes, filters are supposed to clean the oil up, but they also have a limited capacity. As a matter of fact, I am looking into a remote oil filter add-on to get almost another quart of oil capacity, because the kit I am looking at uses the same size as teh Fram PH8A, or similiar size filters, if you are familiar, they are a good size filter

Anyway, I personally don't have a huge problem with Amsoil, I have seen UOA reports and they seem to show well, but there are plenty of other oils that do well also and don't cost as much. I just choose not to buy Amsoil, because I feel it's a bigger hassle than it's worth, for me. If you are interested, there is an ongoing thread with another member and myself, where we are running tests on oils as we drain them, he is testing Amsoil, I am testing Mobil 1 products.

The big point is, hotajax, you are free to put whatever you want in your Nissan, of course the dealer will steer you to their products, why, because they have been engineered by, or in conjunction with OEM standards to meet the needs of the manufacturer. You are warranty free now, so you should have no issues, just don't get all hot under the collar when others disagree with you. Also, you might have been prematurely labeled an Amsoil dealer, because we have had people in the past join the forum and tout Amsoil as almost a cure-all for fuel economy, and whatnot, which can get pretty annoying. Just FIY.

[FOR FRONTYFAN:  OK "rolling the dice" bad choice of words, maybe, but I think you're being overy picky on that count.  I meant that because the warranty expired I'd go for what I knew would work, without regard for my Nissan Service managers desire to put a spell on my truck because I don't use "J".  Look, all I'm doing is telling you guys what is definitely working and working very well. My truck shifts so unbelievably smooth, I have dreams about it at night. You don't have to live in fear of your service manager once the warranty is expired.  That's it - you guys blew this way up.  Ciao. < ="text/">_popupControl(); < ="text/">_popupControl();

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged  

MOPAR whats it means Now theres a lot of other fluids out there ROYAL PURPLE,REDLINE hell run what ever you feel fit BTW you sound like me thats not good. Grab a cool somthing and CHILL .. You wanna buy my 800a its still for sale

06 frontier 4.0 auto

Back to Top View dannyg's Profile Search for other posts by dannyg

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version