Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

General (Non-Frontier)
 Nissan Frontier Forums : General (Non-Frontier)
Subject Topic: Hawaiian Islands In The 1930’s Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Who is Jungle Jim?

The late Johnny Wiessmuller ( 1904 - 1984 )

Or better yet, who was Tarzan the Ape Man?

Do you remember the first ‘talking’ movie Tarzan, the one who won five Olympic gold medals and broke 67 world records for free-style swimming?

http://www.mergetel.com/~geostan/index.html quote:

"This site is dedicated to the Olympic champion Peter John Weissmuller, who, after winning an unprecedented five gold medals at the Olympic Games in 1924 and 1928, went on to become the best known and best loved of all the screen Tarzans."

Read more in the link above

… One day during World War II, when I was about nine or ten years old, I was swimming across the bay in California from Balboa Island to the ‘fun zone’ at New Port Beach. I had my big swim-fins on and was making very good time for my age. Suddenly I became aware that something was approaching me from the rear at a rate faster than the five miles per hour that boats were allowed the go in the bay. Just as I turned to look back heard someone yell “beep, Beep!” and it was Johnny Wiessmuller. He was laying down and paddling a custom surfboard with his hands. I found out later the surfboard was a balsa frame with a canvas covering and very light for a surfboard in those days. Johnny slowed down to make sure I was OK, gave me a ’thumbs up’ and motioned for me to come on but I couldn’t keep up with his pace. He had no idea that he had met my mother in Hawaii a few years earlier and she had taken the photo above.

Have a good one  and CUL.. Lakota

Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Who was Hopalong Cassidy

Here William (bill) Boyd and a companion Arlene Bradly are pictured on the ship just before leaving for the mainland. I was unable to find out any information about this lady or the year the photo was taken.

William (bill) Boyd had a humble birth June 5, 1895 in Hendrysburg Ohio

And at age seven was raised in Tulsa Oklahoma. He died Laguna Beach, California on September 12, 1972

For a nice short BIO click the link below;

http://207.171.166.140/name/nm0101955/bio

One day in about 1943 my mother and I were shopping in a Hollywood area shoe store in California.

... We walked right up to William Boyd and almost didn’t notice him even though we had seem nearly all of his Hopalong Cassidy movies. He was one of my favorite ‘Cowboys’.   My mother was surprised that he remembered her taking the picture (above) on the ship as he was leaving Hawaii.

... There used to be a big deal about cowboys not taking their boots off and even being buried with them on. Knotts Berry Farm in California even had a fake cowboy grave with the boots poking up out of the dirt. Anyhow we caught Hopalong Cassidy with his boots off that day.

Have a good one    and CUL.. Lakota..

Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 16 2005 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote lakota

Who was Jimmy Fidler?

Jimmy Fidler was a popular radio and news paper celebrity columnist. The photo has a nice beach background and is autographed to my mother.

http://otrsite.com/articles/artjf006.html Quote;

"Two ladies and one man provided their respective radio listeners with 15 minutes of Hollywood goings-on nearly every week from the 30s to the 50s. JIMMY FIDLER'S programs seemed to be a little more lively than those of HEDDA HOPPER and LOUELLA PARSONS. There are about 40 existing episodes each of Fidler and Hopper, but only about 17 of Parsons".

"Fidler is bouncy and breezy while Parsons sounds like a farmer's wife, and Hopper is almost aloof. Each of this trio had their own favorite topics. Fidler provided general movie gossip, Parsons was fascinated with stars' engagements and pregnancies, while Hopper preferred to discuss divorces and "who's marrying who" next".

"Unlike Fidler, the two women wielded considerable clout in Hollywood, and could demand that actors appear on the air as "guest stars". Hopper actually carried it a step farther; when she was on vacation, she would designate movie stars to do her show. Alan Ladd and Charles Laughton were among those who complied.”

Other links with information;

http://www.otterprojectonline.info/Jack_French_Articles/Fift een_Minute_Favorites.htm

http://www.radiogoldindex.com/programj.htm

Have a good one..   and CUL.. lakota

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 27 2005 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Who was G man Joe ?

Left to right Flight Attendant, G Man Joe and Howdy Reynolds.

This publicity photograph is signed to my mother by Howdy and shows his preparing for a trip to the mainland.

I still have memories of seeing Howdy Reynolds and his ‘sidekick’ G man Joe and I believe he also had a radio show back in the1930’s. Howdy Reynolds performed a vaudeville styled act as a ventriloquist with his dummy named G Man Joe. Their act was quite similar to ventriloquist Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. The suspense and thriller radio shows broadcasts in the thirties could really grab the imagination of the listeners. My search for more information on Howdy Reynolds only yielded one item as follows.

http://starbulletin.com/2001/09/16/features/donnelly.html quote;

JUST last week, Howdy Reynolds, the real estate salesman and ventriloquist, called to wish me a happy birthday as he's done for years. He kept a huge file of names and birth dates of people he'd call to say "Happy Birthday." I learned yesterday that Howdy died a year after his latest call to me. I'll miss his cheery greetings

If any of the readers of these articles have more information about these people please post it for us to enjoy.

Have a good one and CUL.. lakota

malmon

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote malmon

Priceless pictures they are, this serves as a port to journey back in time that I had never been to. Your parents sure are blessed to be in a news bureau.

Thanks for sharing all this.

Back to Top View malmon's Profile Search for other posts by malmon

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote lakota

malmon wrote:

Priceless pictures they are, this serves as a port to journey back in time that I had never been to. Your parents sure are blessed to be in a news bureau.

Thanks for sharing all this.

malmon;

... Glad you enjoyed it... Thanks for the very kind words!

Have a good one,   and see you later.. Don S..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote lakota

I had two requests for more Amelia Earhart  photos to go with the ones on the first page. Like a before and after shot. Here are photo URLs if needed or see in my photo album.

http://www.nissanfrontier.org/mgallery/lakota/2010-07-05_081 649_ae1.jpg 

http://www.nissanfrontier.org/mgallery/lakota/2010-07-05_081 807_ae4.jpg

Have a good one..  Don S.

Fort Worth

chinapilot

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 26 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote chinapilot

Hi... Great photos.
Have to admit I don't have a Nissan these days but am intrigued with all
your photos especially those of Halliburton's junk which would have
been taken in Hong Kong where it was built.
Have lived here for years and have been interested in his 'voyage' and
wondered if it would be OK to copy those pics of his junk?
(Not for commercial purposes)
Thanks a lot
Ian
Back to Top View chinapilot's Profile Search for other posts by chinapilot

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 26 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

I don't see any problem with you coping the pictures.

All these photos of Halliburton's Junk (ship ) were take in Hawaii buy my Mother Maxine C. Sample and Godfather Otto H. Hornung Jr owners of the Mid Pacific News Bureau. This proves Halliburton made it half way or better across the Pacific!

Mele Kalikimaka... Don S..

Fort Worth

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

UP-DATE!

One of the Aircraft that was in the air during the Dec 7th 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor

For Very Interesting history read ALL of the PDF at:

http://www.vintageaeroplane.com/userFiles/N13408_1.pdf

Don S..

Fort Worth

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version