Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 2002 4X4 SC - Oil Pan Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jekoenig

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote jekoenig

My oil pan is rotting around the top and is now weeping pretty good.  I asked my shop about it and he said that replacing the pan entails separating the engine from the transmission. While in there the rear main seal should be replaced too.  He estimated it at $1200. 

Other than seeing the rust and almost putting my finger through it, I have not looked to see what the job would take.  Is it really as difficult as he is saying? 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Back to Top View jekoenig's Profile Search for other posts by jekoenig

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

According to Motor-All-Data the labor to do this job is 5.2 hrs. The oil pan is $97.95 plus the rubber seals on each end and some silicone sealer. The fr diff. has to come out, not the engine. Sounds like someone is trying to make some Christmas spending cash off from you. Drive up to Pa. save a lot of cash! Williams Nissan, Sayre,Pa.(our labor rate is $70/hr)

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

jekoenig

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote jekoenig

Thanks for the info.  Although I had not crawled back up under there, I knew that something was not righ with what he was telling me. 

The cost of maintaining this truck is starting to add up to more than I am willing to deal with. 

A couple of months ago the truck stuck my wife and daughter. Got AAA to tow them to another local mechanic who discovered that the fuel pump was dead.  I think that cost me something $500 (maybe more - can't find the receipt).  A few weeks ag I took it to a new guy to do the rotors (and pads of course) on the front (rear shoes are still good.  Had him also invesitasge my evap engine code (and related gas smell on fill up).  Found dry rotted lines and a few lines not secured. ($400).  I was still smelling a little gas (and the light came back on) so i filled it up and shined a light on the tank.  The fuel pump access (with sending unit), was leaking badly.  Back to the local mechnaic.  The first guy who replaced my fuel pump snapped a bunch of the bolts. All but one were snapped.  Rust was all around the seal.  A new fuel tank and I am out another $630. 

Uggghhh - No issues in 8 years and now I am paying for it.  I hate to get rid of the truck (best truck  have ever owned), but who knows what will be next. 

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

Just maybe if some of you guys would patronize your local dealer on occasion, they would inform you that there is a recall on the fuel sender and fuel tank if needed. Rather than paying some butcher to destroy your vehicle and charge you a large some of money in the process!
The Voluntary campaign # is R0401 for NJ. Even though you had the repairs done, go see your dealer.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

2011 John Deere X720SE

jekoenig

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote jekoenig

I did take it to have that recall done.  I asked the dealer to take care of that when I had the timing belt done along with the water pump and spark plugs. 

That dealer did not remember to change the spark plugs (charged me for it though).  Soooo perhaps they did not perform the recall either. 

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

Sounds like you need to make a call to Nissan and inform them of the incompetence of the dealer and let them know of all the money you spent needlessly, due to their not doing the recall in the first place.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

'10 Altima SL

2011 John Deere X720SE

dup's Frontier

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote dup's Frontier

I have the same truck and am having the same issue right now.  I got a exhaust manifold replaced and they told me the oil pan was gone.  Sure enough when I got under it, the thing was rusted.  I don't know how much longer it is going to last.  I ordered a new pan but I think it is the wrong one. 

Does any one have the part number or a link to where I can get one?

Thanks
dup
Back to Top View dup's Frontier's Profile Search for other posts by dup's Frontier

jekoenig

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote jekoenig

Oil plan is being replaced.  I should have it back in a couple of days.  I was going to get rid of the truck, but I can't bring myself to trade it in. 

dup's Frontier

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote dup's Frontier

My shop was telling me 6 hours to do it.  Is it around the same for you?
Back to Top View dup's Frontier's Profile Search for other posts by dup's Frontier

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

$97.95 for the pan. 5.2 hours labor. a couple rubber end seals and some silicone sealer.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

'10 Altima SL

2011 John Deere X720SE

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version