Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 2006 SE 4x4, 71k = Tranny failure Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cbk06

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote cbk06

I will never, ever buy another Nissan again.

I purchased my 2006 Frontier SE 4x4 brand new in the spring of 2007.  It was a great experience and I was very happy with my purchase.  I really, really loved this truck.   

Recently the transmission has been acting funny, rough shifting, etc.  I checked the fluid and it looked like strawberry milk.  Coolant had obviously gotten into the transmission.  Unfortunately it was too late to save the tranny and it needs to be replaced.  I have found many complaints about this same issue with the same vehicle, it is obviously a defective design and Nissan will not claim responsibility for it.

The truck has 71k miles on it, so it is no longer under warranty.  I have written letters and made phone calls to Nissan NA while the truck sits at the dealer waiting repair.  Nissan has refused to offer any assistance.  I still owe $11k on this vehicle and the repair bill is around $5,000.  This truck, and Nissan has caused financial hell for me.

I am a mechanical engineer and when you design a heat exchanger to carry two dissimilar fluids that could cause catastrophic damage if they mix, you take measures to ensure that if a leak or failure occurs the two fluids do not mix.  This is a horrible design.  If I had known this could happen I would have installed an external transmission cooler when I purchased the vehicle.  IF YOU OWN A FRONTIER WITH THE SAME RADIATOR DESIGN INSTALL AN EXTERNAL COOLER RIGHT NOW!!!

I haven't posted much on these forums, mostly because I try to stay away from car forums after spending way too much money on modifying my previous vehicles.  But I know that you can find a lot of great information here and people can be very helpful.  If anyone knows of a way to get help from Nissan, or to significantly reduce the cost of rebuilding or replacing the transmission please let me know. 

Thanks,

Clinton

Back to Top View cbk06's Profile Search for other posts by cbk06

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

Have seen many failures due to cross contamination, apparently they went to the lowest bidder for radiators!!!!I would keep bugging Nissan and let them know there is a definite concern with this issue as evidence on this and other forums. I agree with the external cooler as an alternative solution, unfortunately, too late for you.Have you checked with an independent trans shop for a rebuild? Now days, we are just a bunch of parts re placers at Nissan world! Gone are the good ol' days of actually rebuilding things.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

bulletedd

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 29 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote bulletedd

I got the same problem. I've got 88k on it. I'm going to change radiator and flush out heater core. Have tranny drained and filled and hope for the best until I can trade it in. Mine just shifts badly going to overdrive. If I take overdrive off shifts o.k
Back to Top View bulletedd's Profile Search for other posts by bulletedd

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 30 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

bulletedd wrote:
I got the same problem. I've got 88k on it. I'm going to change radiator and flush out heater core. Have tranny drained and filled and hope for the best until I can trade it in. Mine just shifts badly going to overdrive. If I take overdrive off shifts o.k

Might want to get the trans flushed, be sure to use the correct fluid.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

bulletedd

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 01 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote bulletedd

Thanks for the advise. I was thinking about that. Guess I'll save my receits too just incase Nissan ever mans up and take responsibility.

Mr. Breeze

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: May 05 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mr. Breeze

Hi, I am new here and I am trying to get some information on this problem. The original poster recommended getting an external tranny cooler. Would it be beneficial to just get a new aftermarket radiator? And will bypassing the built-in tranny cooler cool as effectively?

Back to Top View Mr. Breeze's Profile Search for other posts by Mr. Breeze

bulletedd

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote bulletedd

I'd say if you have no problem just get an external cooler and be done with it. I changed my radiator but too late to save tranny.

davidjbrady

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 07 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote davidjbrady

Any particular brand names of external coolers to suggest?

Back to Top View davidjbrady's Profile Search for other posts by davidjbrady

bulletedd

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 08 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote bulletedd

There's lots of brands out there. I'm sure local NAPA or other parts store can recommend a good one. Good luck

mdemott

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 17 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote mdemott

I have a 2007 LE that just turned 50,000 miles and it will shutter between 40 and 45mph as though the low RPM's are causeing the engine to bog. I still have 10,000 miles before the drivetrain warranty expires. If Nissan will not replace the transmission or cooler, is the best fix to replace the radiator or trans. cooler or both?

Back to Top View mdemott's Profile Search for other posts by mdemott

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version