Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

TSB - Technical Bulletins
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical : TSB - Technical Bulletins
Subject Topic: stalling out , help plz !!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
avermar

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 26 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote avermar

I have a 1998 2 wd frontier 2.4 4 cyl. with 150k , it began stalling out at stop lights, and sputtering along once I got it restarted and going again,powerless, the trouble is intermitant at times, a code came up for the mass air flow sensor, I swaped it out, still not working , code check also mentioned a possible vac leak, I can't find anything.....any help would be appreciated much 
Back to Top View avermar's Profile Search for other posts by avermar

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 26 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

Swapped out with new-used-genuine-aftermarket???? Been using a Genuine Nissan oil impregnated air filter?? Pull the distributor cap and see how much dust is in it. There is a new style distributor assy available, but I have had good luck cleaning out the existing assy and installing a GENUINE Nissan cap and rotor. Fuel filter been changed in the last 30K miles?

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

avermar

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote avermar

Hi , and thanks for your reply ! I believe the mass air flow sensor was probally an aftermarket one, I ordered it online, I never even got to see it,I called home from my work and had my son put it in for me , he's only 13 years old, I suppose I should have could have checked his handy work.

I'm not sure what kind of air filter is in it, but it is time for a new one, I'll grab one of those oil impregnated type that you mentioned, what manufacturer makes those ?  I'm going out now to pull the distributor cap off and have a look, and that's a no on changing the fuel filter within the last 30k , where is it located ? frame rail ?

thanx again !!!!

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

The air filter is available at your Nissan dealer. If memory serves me correctly, the fuel filter is mounted on the frame rail about mid-way on the passenger side.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

avermar

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote avermar

I pulled of that cap,,lots of dust bunnies in there just like you said...I just called the Nissan dealer and there parts dept. is closed for the day,,, and my truck has been down for two days now, so  I gues I'm gonna do the auto zone thing, AZ has a cap for $12. and a set of duralst wires on hand for $34. but I could get Bosh wires next day for $45.  they have a spectra air filter that is oil impregnated for $38. will this do or should I wait till tommorow for Nissan to open up ?

when I go to clean out the dust out of the distributor, can I use compressed air to blast it out or could I screw something up by doing this ?

avermar

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote avermar

I had auto zone hook me up to there code reader , codes P1448  P0440  & P0100 came up , the kid who check it said none of these codes should cause the engine to stall out....

I cleaned out the inside of the distributor and put the new rotor cap and dist. cap on,,,,I thought it sounded better so I took it out for a ride, once it got warmed up it started acting up again, when I pulled into my driveway the engine stalled out, I restarted it a few times and it stalled out each time, it almost acted like it was starving for fuel but if I punch down the accelerator pedal , the engine revs right up fine ,,, I was thinking if the fuel filter was plugged up it probally woulden't rev like it does, I'm gonna change out the fuel filter tommorow , it started snowing on me, so I packed it in for the night,

thanks again for the help

brandonmillsap

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote brandonmillsap

avermar wrote:

Hi , and thanks for your reply ! I believe the mass air flow sensor was probally an aftermarket one, I ordered it online, I never even got to see it,I called home from my work and had my son put it in for me , he's only 13 years old, I suppose I should have could have checked his handy work.

It is probably an aftermarket part, sorry you didn't get to see it, but next time, you can still look for great oem parts for mass air flow sensors online. :)
Back to Top View brandonmillsap's Profile Search for other posts by brandonmillsap

Belllouis

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 19 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Belllouis

I have the same truck and the same problem. I have changed plugs,
wires, cap, and button. I don't know what else to do. It seems to only
miss when the service light is off, runs fine when it's on. Did you ever
get yours fixed?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic