Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 2004 Frontier No Start - Fixed! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dsarains

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 01 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote dsarains

*EDIT* - Problem Fixed! :D

Alright, so the problem ended up being rather simple. I asked some guys down the street at an auto repair place what it might be. They said cam sensor or crank sensor depending on injector pulse and other things, and lent me a Noid Light Kit. Explanation I got: Just unplug the thing from the injector, plug in the noid light to the cable, and crank. If it flashes, you have injector pulse. I tried this, and I got no flash.

After my roomie suggested I test all 6 injectors just because, I randomly stumbled on the problem. One of the 2 wires going into the injector was sheared. No corrosion or anything, just looked like it popped right off, clean cut. I stripped back the wire and crammed it down in where it should go. Truck turned over and started fine. Turned off, disconnected battery, and just put a dab of solder on the wire. I tugged it a bit and truck still starts, no codes, no check engine light. 15 hours deep into a broken wire!

Thanks all for the help! I was actually low on fuel, and now dont have to travel to the gas station.

P.S. - Noid lights work, tested after fixed wire, with flashing on the 3 injector things I could easily reach and find in the near dark. Seems like if 1 injector fails, the ECU or whatever cuts all 6.

Alright, so Im out of ideas. Ive got a 2004 Frontier with about 85k miles on it. No previous problems, no recent services or changes (actually due for service on wednesday).

Last night, I backed out of my driveway, turned around, and backed up the driveway to unload some stuff. This was the last time my truck ran.

What it does: It cranks, quite well. Its not an uninhibited crank, and visual inspection says the timing belt is fine, for all intents and purposes. All lights, accessories, CB radio, keyless entry, etc - all works fine. I checked all fuses in cabin and under hood - nothing blown. Replaced a few that looked discolored, with no change. The fuel pump is working - I hear a 3 second whine when I power the truck, then the click of the relay when my fuel rail is fully pressurized.

Pulled the distributor cap and the roomie checked it out. He used to be a mechanic and said it was fine. Replaced dist. cap and pulled plug #1. Cranking gave us spark, so not a problem there.

What it doesnt do: Start. It will crank until the break of dawn with no sputter, stutter, or  change in the tone of the cranking. It also doesnt throw any error codes (see below in bold).

What Ive been able to figure: Its something either with the injectors, or maybe a clogged fuel line? Im not sure, I dont know much.

Here is the funny part: The roomie pulled the air intake. He hit it with some starting fluid while I turned it over. Magic, it started. Given, it was rough and knocking, and the second I pushed down on the gas it died. After this, I decided to see if it threw a code. It did: A P0328 - High Voltage to Knock Sensor, or something. Cleared the code, cranked the engine with no start, now the code is gone. I can only assume it threw the code with the rough start via starting fluid.

So, Im pretty much lost. We've managed to narrow the problem down to something between the fuel pump and actual delivery of the fuel through the injectors. Anyone have any ideas? And on a side note...anyone know where the fuel return line is? Id like to pull it, see if there isnt a clog or something.

Kenwood 6.5" Front
Alcoa Forged 16" Rims
BFG Rugged Terrain T/As @ LT265/70
Back to Top View dsarains's Profile Search for other posts by dsarains

kcidmil
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
HI! My name is Ben and I have Car ADD.

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 01 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote kcidmil

Well you've already eliminated a majority of everything.  And you're about spot on as to what could be wrong.  I would start of replacing the fuel filter and see if that leads to anything better.

If you're still having problems I would check the fuel pressure regulator.  And the last spot is the fuel injectors.

05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
90 Nissan Maxima SE
12 Nissan Xterra S
Back to Top View kcidmil's Profile Search for other posts by kcidmil Visit kcidmil's Homepage

Jimmy54
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 02 2010 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Jimmy54

Are you sure the fuel gauge sending unit is good? Could you be out of gas,
take a fuel pressure reading!
Back to Top View Jimmy54's Profile Search for other posts by Jimmy54

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 02 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

You say that the fuel pump has a 3 sec whine??? Does it sound any different than normal?? Usually when the pump whines, it is an indication of water or rust in the fuel. Remove the filter, carefully plug each end as you remove it, from the inlet end, drain it into a clear container to see how it looks, water will settle to the bottom. Have someone listen to the injectors with a stethoscope or long screw as the eng is cranked to see if they click. The fuel return line is next to the inlet line. personally, I would remove the inlet line,aim it into a container, turn the key on, see if any fuel flows.
Just read your post again and had a thought. When you backed out of the driveway to turn the truck around, was the engine cold(hadn't been run for more than 5 hours previously) and secondly, if it was cold, how long did it run when you turned it around?? My point is, short run cycles with a cold engine, breaks loose piece of carbon which get caught between the valves and valve seat, making for low compression, which in turn makes for very difficult starting. Very prevalent in cold climates and or higher mileage engines.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

NorthrnManitoba
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote NorthrnManitoba

Heyy DSARAINS

i am having a problem that sounds very similar to yours however i am able to start my truck most of the time it starts no problem , but every once in a while i go to start it and it will crank but will not start and it sounds like a good strong crank but no fireing also when i do bring into garage and they hook up code reader it starts right on up for them so they dont see any codes, then i bring it home and wqont start, and i dont personnally have a code reader although im thinking about buying one now, i really am getting nowhere with this problewm and the garage is starting to give up on it. plzz help cold weather is on its way fast!!!!

Back to Top View NorthrnManitoba's Profile Search for other posts by NorthrnManitoba

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version