Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: How To: Relearn TPMS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kornhole

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Kornhole

After scouring the interwebs I was unable to find a true do it yourself method for resetting the tire pressure sensors in my Frontier that didn't require special tools. Managed to figure it out so thought I should share. I've done it twice now (switching summers / winters) on my '06 Frontier, can't confirm it works on other models, but would think that it should work on 05+ Frontiers and Xterra's at the very least.

1. Set your tire pressures to the following:
Front Left - 36 psi
Front Right - 33 psi
Rear Right - 30 psi
Rear Left - 27 psi
2. Turn the Ignition to "ON" but don't start the engine (key on, engine off).
3. Ground the TPMS plug 5 or 6 times, about once per second seems to work. This is a small white plug under the dash by the drivers right foot, right with the ODBII plug. You can get a special tool to ground this out, or use a wire, paperclip, needle, etc pushed into the plug (Don't use something too big) and touch it to the metal bracket that's conveniently right there (See pictures below). The tire pressure light on the dash should start flashing slowly and will continue to do so.
4. Start your vehicle and go for a drive, apparently you have to drive over 15 km/h, and it seems to take 10 minutes or so. Then the tire pressure light goes out for a bit, and comes back on (because you have a tire down at 27 psi).
5. Fill your tires back up to recommended pressure, and the light will go out.
6. Live happily ever after.

Location of the plug you need (with a needle stuck in it):

Grounding the TPMS reset plug:

Hope this helps some people out.
Back to Top View Kornhole's Profile Search for other posts by Kornhole Visit Kornhole's Homepage

kavephish
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote kavephish

Thanks for the info.  I bought two new rear tires four or so months ago and the tire guy inflated them to 35lbs and the TPMS didnt go off.  I noticed that the recommended pressure on the rear set was supposed to be 55lbs, so I inflated them to 55.  Ever since then, at statrup, the TPMS flashes for a minute or so then stays on constantly (not sure why an increase in tire pressure would prompt it to comeon).  Anyway, I will try your posted remedy and see what happens.....

Kornhole

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Kornhole

Recommended was 55psi, or maximum? That seems high for this truck. Typically the recommended is what's inside the driver door on a sticker, the tire just shows maximum. Either way though, the sensor doesn't typically come on from being at too high of pressure, but it's certainly worth a shot.
Back to Top View Kornhole's Profile Search for other posts by Kornhole Visit Kornhole's Homepage

kavephish
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote kavephish

55lbs was max for the tire as they are LT tires.  Figured I'd get more mileage if I put in the max air pressure.

NissanFronT07

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote NissanFronT07

I can confirm the above procedure works on '07 Frontiers as well.  Reset my tpms light last night and everything worked fine.  Had a very cold night a couple of nights ago and it tripped a low voltage code in the morning that made my TPMS light blink.  Local tire store could read that sensors were working correctly later in the day but could not reset the system - recommended I take it to the deal for reset.  Used this procedure instead and saved me a trip and some money.

One important item is that the tire pressures used for relearn/reset need to be set fairly accurately.  The first time I tried, they were not and the relearn/reset failed.  You will know because the drive time for reset increases to 15-30 minutes until the system times out.  At this point you will hear a long audible beep from the dash and the TPMS light will stay on solid.  This is the main difference from a positive reset (in positive reset, the light goes out with no audible sound, stays out a bit and then comes back on due to low pressure in RR tire).  It will remain on solid until the system is reset or you start the relearn/reset mode again.  If this happens, just make sure you have a good gage, reset your tire pressures, and follow the procedures above again and it should reset.

I used slightly different pressures based on a different post that also worked: 

RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi

Thanks Kornhole!

Back to Top View NissanFronT07's Profile Search for other posts by NissanFronT07

Stokersrule

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Stokersrule

I haven't had any issues with my TPMS but I'd like to understand this better.  Is this required when, say, a low tire sets off the alarm and after having been refilled the alarm stays on?
Back to Top View Stokersrule's Profile Search for other posts by Stokersrule

Kornhole

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kornhole

Stokersrule, under normal circumstances, if you're tire pressure drops and the light comes on, refilling the tire will turn the light off. This procedure is needed if you replace your TPMS with new ones (or ones in a different set of tires), basically it's making the computer in your truck figure out which sensors are where.

NissanFronT07, glad I could help.

Stokersrule

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 10 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Stokersrule

Ahhhh, nice!  Thanks, this could definitely come in handy!
Back to Top View Stokersrule's Profile Search for other posts by Stokersrule

carlbell

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote carlbell

treid it about 4 times with no success..put a new aftermarket tpms on it..the tire store said the guage was reading all 4 tires..the light went out for about 2 hours then went on again and tried to reset it 4 times with this method . after it resets the light stay on solid ..

Kornhole

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Kornhole

carlbell wrote:
treid it about 4 times with no success..put a new aftermarket tpms on it..the tire store said the guage was reading all 4 tires..the light went out for about 2 hours then went on again and tried to reset it 4 times with this method . after it resets the light stay on solid ..

I haven't tried this with aftermarket TPMS, so perhaps that's the reason. I've got two different sets of stock ones, and haven't had an issue.

Are you filling the tires back up to the appropriate pressure after resetting them? Once they are set up, you have one tire with low pressure, so by default the light will come on until that tire is topped back up.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version