Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 2001 intermittent AC problem and solution Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cactus97

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 27 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote cactus97

This is to follow up on an excellent post by Boatman306 who described the fix for Frontier AC working intermittently.  The part number for the thermal control amplifier is 27675-9Z000 and it's about $40-45 on line.  A red plastic-covered sensor probe on one end, a white electrical connector on the other, and three wires running between them.  See Boatman's post for a great description of the replacement; I'm just going to add to it some. 

with a 2001 Frontier 3.3 SC. You can figure out how to remove the glove compartment--total of six screws, I think.  Get yourself a folding chair or something to set right beside the open door so you can lean in comfortably.  I also used a hand mirror and flashlight to see what was going on without contorting myself too much.  There are three silver screws visible on the face of the plastic AC radiator housing box; remove.  On my truck, there were also two gold anodized hex-head screws securing the back of the box.  The one on the left is accessible only with a 3/8 socket on a short extension.  After all these are removed, take out the cabin filters.  Then you'll have to wiggle, warp, pry, and pull on the bottom half of the box to open up a space big enough to see the red sensor that plugs into the left side of the radiator within. 

As Boatman says, it doesn't matter if you put the new sensor into the exact same spot the old one came out of.  Just get close, and notice how the old one was oriented before you remove it.  A flashlight is needed for this.  By the way, I was able to open a space big enough to get a man-hand in there without cracking the box.  it took a while, and the damn thing is stiff and awkward, but patience pays off.  Route the new wires where the old ones were and install the white connector in place of the old one, which is clearly visible on the left lower face of the box.  A pair of pliers and a steady pull straight down will get the old connector off the detent. 

Put the lower half of the box back on (this is almost as much fun as taking it off) and screw everything back together. 
NOTE:  you might as well replace your cabin air filters when you do this job.  The amount of leaves, trash, and dust in mine was shocking...  Start your engine, turn on AC, enjoy cold air pouring out of vents, open beer, drink.  Think about how much money you just saved yourself at the dealer.  If you're a great planner like me, you will also start this job at say 11am on a July day instead of first thing in the morning when it's cool...

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 27 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Thanks for the info! If you'll post the model of your truck I'll try to intigreat this into the sticky subject.

TNX again.. Don S..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

cactus97

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 27 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote cactus97

Whoops!  2001 Frontier 3.3 SC.  Thanks for the catch.

meyerdel

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote meyerdel

My saga continues. Not as lucky as some, my TCA for '92 Sentra ran $130.

For the first month, AC worked great after replacing TCA. Then went back to same old tricks, which includes all symptoms listed.

Here's the kicker that I hope someone can help me with.

When the AC stops working, I leave it on, hoping it will start again. (I live in AZ) After a while, and not every time, a loud screech occurs under the hood for 10-20 seconds. The sound stops, and then the AC starts working. Anybody got anything on this?

Back to Top View meyerdel's Profile Search for other posts by meyerdel

Sadalife

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Sadalife

I own a 2000 Nissan xterra, which is similiar in build to the Froniter, Ive been having A/C issues for about a year now, I Just installed a Thermal control amp or Thermo amp, its listed in various ways, Bottom line is, the dealer couldnt fix it, a private mechanic said it was electrical, both wrong which could be costly. I purchased the Thermo amp from mynissanparts.com for $26.69 plus shipping of $8.50 for a total of $38.19. Part arrived in two days and It literally took me 20 minutes or less to install. You can go to http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/diy-guide-how-change- thermal-control-amp-1st-gen-frontier-72291/  here you will find a great tutorial with photos on how to install. If you are in the Los Angeles area, and want to install your TCU, send me an email, I'll do it for under $40 bucks.

Tidegirl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 24 2012 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Tidegirl

I  have a 2001 Frontier Crew cab.  I have been having ac problems for 4 years.  After about $3000 and estimates given upwards of $4500, I found Boatbuilders post and he gave explicit instructions on how to remove and reisntall the (TCA).  Cactus also gave excellent guidelines on how to remove the screws and how many there were.  I'd like to thank both of you.  I am a woman and after $47.00 and 45 minutes, I have AC working colder than I can remember.  They should have had a recall on this because of the multitudes of failures.  I live on the Coast in the south and I thank GOD this fixed my problem....  I just couldn't take the heat any longer...Thanks guys for the information and GOD bless you..
Back to Top View Tidegirl's Profile Search for other posts by Tidegirl

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 24 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Tidegirl wrote:
I  have a 2001 Frontier Crew cab.  I have been having ac problems for 4 years.  After about $3000 and estimates given upwards of $4500, I found Boatbuilders post and he gave explicit instructions on how to remove and reisntall the (TCA).  Cactus also gave excellent guidelines on how to remove the screws and how many there were.  I'd like to thank both of you.  I am a woman and after $47.00 and 45 minutes, I have AC working colder than I can remember.  They should have had a recall on this because of the multitudes of failures.  I live on the Coast in the south and I thank GOD this fixed my problem....  I just couldn't take the heat any longer...Thanks guys for the information and GOD bless you..

A big thanks to your thanks. Thanks is the major reward these people that help us receive. So... Again thanks for your thanks.

Have a good one.. Don S..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version