Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Off Road 4x2/4x4
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Off Road 4x2/4x4
Subject Topic: Question about 2001 nissan frontier Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fishingpro

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 06 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Fishingpro

hey Guys, i was wondering if anyone knows if a 2001 nissan frontier V6 4x2(desert runner edition) can get in to the beach and run like 4x4 truck without  problems? let me tell you here in Mexico i have seen small cars runnin' on the beach without any problems,  and one friend of mine told me that is possible to do that,he said i just need to make sure about the truck diffential run positive (2 rear wheels runin', or something like that), that's why i'm askin' you guys..Maybe somebody knows obout it.Thanks for your attention...God Bless to all of you.!!!!!!!
Back to Top View Fishingpro's Profile Search for other posts by Fishingpro

Mylt1

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 06 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mylt1

a locked rear isnt as important as flotation on sand, its helpful but if you go out on sand with pizza cutter tires with 35psi in them your gonna sink. you wont to either get wider tires or air down BEFORE you go on to the sand. the wider the foot print the better the flotation you have. once you leave the sand you need to inflate your tires back to the correct psi. hope this helps.

Animals
Back to Top View Mylt1's Profile Search for other posts by Mylt1

Supercharger1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 08 2006 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote Supercharger1

Heres another tip.

Your 01 Frontier is a little heavy for driving on sand so don't stop fast or try starting out fast. Try to not skid or advoid spinning your wheels/tires. If you do you may find that it will only dig yourself into a hole and bury your truck up to its axles in soft sand. Also, sandy surfaces/terrain conditions are ever moving and can or will change fast. Meaning you may find yourself driving along on sand that is packed down fairly good while tire traction and steering control is well and fine but, without notice while you are tooling along all of a sudden you will find a soft area inwhich the truck will start to bogg down into the sand and traction with steering can become loose/difficult.

Note: A problem you may notice while driving a 2WD truck on sand is that you can only basicly push the truck by the rear drive wheels. The benefit of a 4WD system is that it can use the front wheels to help pull the truck while the rear wheels push it at the same time. In loose aggregate or sandy conditions the pulling power of the front wheels on a 4WD also help in keeping control of the steering and front traction as well.

The front end on a 2WD is heavy with the motor weight directly over the steering (front two wheels) and it can become difficult at certain speeds or even over as little as 10-15mph when driving thru/over/in soft sandy areas with only a free wheeling (rear wheel drive/non-4WD) front axle and tires.   

kcidmil
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
HI! My name is Ben and I have Car ADD.

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 08 2006 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote kcidmil

Another thing that will help some, if you get some directional tires, change them so the tread runs the opposite direction while on the sand.  The tread will PULL sand under the tire, helping you to float. 

Make sure you rotate them back to the proper direction before you drive far on paved roads.  That same floating action it pulls with sand it will do with water, causing you to hydroplane real easily.

05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
90 Nissan Maxima SE
12 Nissan Xterra S
Back to Top View kcidmil's Profile Search for other posts by kcidmil Visit kcidmil's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version