Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

General
 Nissan Frontier Forums : General
Subject Topic: Premium Fuel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Boomer
Nissan Guru

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Boomer

But that is NOT what my owners manual says.  I went out and read it.  It says exactly what I posted!

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

Frontyfan

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Frontyfan

hsckris,

i took a peek at the website you posted for the owner's manual, and it does say something about 87 octane (AKI) being the recommended fuel, but that is differentiated for the 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. Just underneath that the 4.0, indicates they recommend 91, but if not available anything with AT LEAST 87, but that a decrease in performance might be noticed.

if this still doesn't clear things up and someone's manual indicates that 87 (regular) is recommended for the 4.0 rather than the at least 91 that this stated, then perhaps we can still shoot an email to Nissan NA, however i do find it interesting that on www.nissanhelp.com it states recommended fuel is regular for the 4.0L as well. That might be bad information as far as Nissan is concerned, as I stated before, makes me wonder if it is affiliated with Nissan.

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Boomer

Frontyfan, thanks for the additional information and clarification.  I should have thought to put that in my response.  My apologies for a terse reply.

Nevertheless, I am curious.  Has there been any evidence (long term) of damage to the 4.0L engine by running it constantly on lower octane fuel?  I know from my own experience over 45 years of driving that serious engine damage can occur such as burned pistons, valves and valve seats.  Today, with induction hardening of the valve parts, this may be minimized but I would still be worried about burning through a piston.  Interestingly, the octane rating posted on the pump is an average of "motor" octane number and "research" octane number.  Usually and necessarily for good performance, these are withing a very few points of each other.  However, in Europe some years ago, they apparently had some fuel on the market with a low motor octane rating and a higher research rating.  This caused severe engine damage problems as the low motor octane (real world driving type number) was causing piston damage.

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

Chris6744

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 09 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Chris6744

this may have already been said but . the reason it says to run 91 octane is because japan has a different way of rating fuel there 91 ends up being our 87 or 88 so running regular is what you want to do. if you run 91 or up you will get worse fuel milage
Back to Top View Chris6744's Profile Search for other posts by Chris6744

Lemoninspector

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lemoninspector

I run regular 87 in my 2007 CC 4.0L and I get 22 MPG. Runs fine.

NissanCrewCab08

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote NissanCrewCab08

I find it amusing that my 05 Titan was made to run on regular 87 octane fuel and the Frontier manual says premium. If you look on the fuel door on the Pathfinder it says use premium fuel and our Frontiers don't have that sticker. I also own a 2007 Pathfinder and it runs quite fine on regular too. These motors are NOT high compression. Muscle cars had high compression engines. Those were the days. I'll run 87 in my Frontier just like my Pathfinder.
Back to Top View NissanCrewCab08's Profile Search for other posts by NissanCrewCab08

djruss84
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote djruss84

I had trouble with rotten egg smells comeing from my 06 SE and nissan told me that the engine was disgned for premium fuel. I have since switched to premium and have no more smells. I have also noticed an increase in power since I switched. But with gas prices the way they are I am considering switching back to regular. If anybody finds out or knows if regular gas can damage an engine disigned for primium gas let me know before I switch back.

locker

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote locker

I've got 57000km on my 06 fronty and have always run 87.  I tried running 94 for a full 5000km and did not notice any increased full economy or power gain.

Back to Top View locker's Profile Search for other posts by locker

2005NISMO

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote 2005NISMO

I have an 05 NISMO and I have the sticker "recommend premium fuel for performance" which I thought ok so it won't perform as well. To my surprise I noticed a difference maybe I'm a "special" case because of the issues I've had see "New Member Need Help" but my fronty seemed "lacks" on 87 octane. (ie. I'd hit the gas and it was like it had to think about it for a minute before it would go) Then again maybe premium fuel has been my downfall.  Although when I first bought it the mpg's didn't change with 87 or 93, just the performance. I decided that at an extra .20 * 17 gal the $3.40 fuel up difference wasn't worth wearing out my engine? Who knows.
Back to Top View 2005NISMO's Profile Search for other posts by 2005NISMO

allenh
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote allenh

I've always been told, pick an octane and stick with it...changing the octane is what leads to knocks etc.  I've used nothing but 87 and had zero problems.  Mileage is always going to suffer when you have an engine that produces this much horsepower.
Back to Top View allenh's Profile Search for other posts by allenh

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version