Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: A/C compressor running all the time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maxbaby

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 09 2008 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote Maxbaby

^ X 2

Back to Top View Maxbaby's Profile Search for other posts by Maxbaby

equinox

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote equinox

New to group.

I have the exact same problem.  The AC is on whenever the Fan is turned on.

I have simply disconnected the + wire going to the AC clutch for now.  Just to save gas, besides it is (or was) winter, and I prefer warm - hot air.

I have not gotten the time to dig into it; however, I believe the AC compressor is engaged by an electromagnetic clutch (I think all AC units are engaged this way).  When power is applied the unit engages.

Mine is stuck engaged all the time. Possibly I can fix it myself, or else I will be forced to replace it.

I will at least look at it to see if it is able to be dismantled, and possibly repaired, or if it cannot be repaired, possibly I can see what caused it to fail.  Things now days are built to fail, and also built to not be repaired by us laymen.

Back to Top View equinox's Profile Search for other posts by equinox

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

equinox;

Welcome to the group!

If the Pump turns on only when the fan is on but not other times then it would seem the clutch would be OK. If you disconnect the wire feeding the clutch and it still pumps cold air then it would be a broken return spring in the clutch.

... I had one of the two electro-magnets burn up that was a clutch on a york pump in my old Wagoneer. In the old days we'd have just rewound the coil...

have a good one and se you later… Don S..

It would be nice if our members would add their vehicle information to their signature (similar to mine) plus add their City and State . A member in the same town might be willing to drop by and help you with a problem. Or drink all your beer

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

nismod

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote nismod

My 2005 does this as well.  Only happens when I select defrost or AC and then turn off AC change defrost to floor or any other feature than defrost.  All I do is turn off the truck and then start it back up again.  This pisses me off because all I can hear is the compressor kicking on and off and you have to enjoy that lack of power.

Not too happy with my 05 at the moment as there is a head gasket issue on top of this problem plus my sunroof will not close when I drive on the highway if the temperature is less than 32F.  Before you ask why would you open the sunroof when it is that cold, I live in Canada and that is warm right now.  When I refer to not close, this is when it is in the tilt feature.  Try to close it and it tilts open - only closes when I come off the highway.

I love these trucks but mine might be shortlived if this crap keeps up.  Less than 20K miles and this junk is going on.  Got to love all the BSR issues as well - especially when you turn the Fosgate radio up to hear all the buzzing coming from the headliner, window trim, and console.

MATTSAVAGE

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote MATTSAVAGE

Does anyone have an electrical schematic of the ac wiring and fuse location?  Mine is stuck permanently on too (if  fan is on..)  I'd rather just completely disengage it until July when I "might" need it. 

I'm not really an engine guy, so I don't inherently know my way around the engine compartment...

thanks!

AirAid Intake
Back to Top View MATTSAVAGE's Profile Search for other posts by MATTSAVAGE

Maxbaby

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Maxbaby

You know, since this was first posted, I have been searching a couple other boards... I know last year I was reading a post about there being a switch on the backside of the climate control panel itself behind the floor/defrost rotating dial.  That switch is activated simply when the dial is rotated to the defrost setting, and it holds the a/c on.  I believe the post was talking about simply rotating that switch to one side so that when the dial is rotated, it no longer makes contact. I also know...

1) I'm not in the mood to crack the dash apart to find out myself.

2) I can't find that post so for all I know it was a figment of my imagination brought on during a Captain Morgan's induced stupor in my garage.

... anyone else know of this mythical magical switch on the backside of the control panel?

Back to Top View Maxbaby's Profile Search for other posts by Maxbaby

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

MATTSAVAGE wrote:
Does anyone have an electrical schematic of the ac wiring and fuse location?  Mine is stuck permanently on too (if  fan is on..)  I'd rather just completely disengage it until July when I "might" need it. 

I'm not really an engine guy, so I don't inherently know my way around the engine compartment...

thanks!

MATTSAVAGE;

... I ran out and took this photo 'cause I don't have a electrical schematic. If you want to disconnect the A/C clutch look under the engine intake filter box on the driver side and you will see the large belt driven clutch and the wire that operates it. Follow the wire to the first plug and disconnect it.

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..

Laws such as the use of corn ethanol are driving up the cost of living (have you been to the grocery store lately) without driving up wages. This equates to a lower standard of living thanks to Agro-lobbyists and corrupt and/or ill-informed lawmakers.

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

penaltybox1

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote penaltybox1

Okay I talked to a Nissan Tec line and the "problem is the control unit is bad not just the switch for defrost but the whole climate control unit , whichis anywhere from $ 150.00 to 235.00 forthe unit . This made sense because even with the ac swich disconnected it would still run even in vent . Anytime the fan is on .
Back to Top View penaltybox1's Profile Search for other posts by penaltybox1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version