Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Thermal control amplifier (ac issue) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged  

earnold25 wrote:
bcaughhorn wrote:

ok. i just bought a cheap set of gauges. the high side is reading about 75psi and the low side is reading about 68.

so does that mean i need a compressor????

high side should be reading about 2.5 times ambient temperature.  (usually over 200, with the a/c on highest setting and fan on full blast)

low side seems a bit high though.  overcharging would also cause restricted movement of refrigerant in the system as well. 

have you evacuated the system completely?  refilled with recommended amount?

compressor is the most expensive replacement (and least likely thing to fail...despite what the service dept. tells you) so I'd rule everything else out first. 

yes. i changed the expansion valve, then pulled a 30lbs vac. i had maybe a half can of freon. it took the half can (im guessing because of the vac). wont take anymore freon and doesnt blow cold. the clutch turns on and off with the switch but the compressor doesnt make the noise it used to when it turned on and off. the lines do not get cold or anything. i have also changed the TCA

Back to Top View bcaughhorn's Profile Search for other posts by bcaughhorn

earnold25

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged  

bcaughhorn wrote:
[QUOTE=earnold25] [QUOTE=bcaughhorn]

yes. i changed the expansion valve, then pulled a 30lbs vac. i had maybe a half can of freon. it took the half can (im guessing because of the vac). wont take anymore freon and doesnt blow cold. the clutch turns on and off with the switch but the compressor doesnt make the noise it used to when it turned on and off. the lines do not get cold or anything. i have also changed the TCA

the system should take from 600 - 700g of refrigerant (21.16 - 24.69 oz). 

I'm not sure how to do any other tests regarding your compressor.  If it is indeed bad, then its recommended that you pull all major a/c components and replace (or a flush at the very least) to get rid of any blockage caused by the compressor failure (metal shavings, etc.)

keep us posted of your findings please. 

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged  

I've been told that the amount (plus or minus) of 134 in a system is very important. It is a set amount. Too much is bad. The condensers ability to cool the 134 is very important.

Have a good one.. Don S..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

meyerdel

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 03 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged  

Hi Bcaughorn, as far as I can tell, following this thread for a while now, there is a two wire TCA and a three wire TCA.  I was in contact with Chris Myers Nissan. They were out of stock at the moment of the two wire, it was $32 something but one thing lead to another and they checked what I needed for my '92 Sentra, and the TCA I need, runs $117. I have already bought a three wire for around $36, the two wire you got has the thermistor right? I have taken mine out and had it in my hand, so I know what it looks like. So is there a third type? Does anybody know what I end up with for $117? I can experiment for under $40, I don't feel so adventurous over the $100 mark. Any help would be great.
Back to Top View meyerdel's Profile Search for other posts by meyerdel

JuanSolid

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged  

I would not buy the part unless they could show it to you first, and in case they can not go online and shop around.

On my side I believe my mothers xterra has been fixed and I did not buy the TCA. My best recommendation on the easy going cheap side is IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INTERMITTENT problems with your AC buy a can of anything that has dye in it and hopefully that same store has a portable black light. I ended up finding this out the hard way and wasting two cans of R134a as well as not being nice to the environment. So you can buy a $12-13 can with dye and sealant and r134a, or you can buy just the dye, which I would have done knowing what I know now. However I am not sure if the compressor will kick on or even pass the dye without r134a in the system. Also for $6-10 you can get a 3led clip on hat black light. Both from Walmart.

I used that to find the leak on the upper hoses O-ring going into the compressor. Now it's dangerous to open the system up with r134a in it, and I was lucky there was none left as it all leaked out. Just be careful because I unhooked over there and nothing happened except a bath of yellow dye, but I was unprepared, and if there was any r134a in it I could have been injured pretty bad (frozen skin would be painful). So bring a thick towel. To gat at the O-ring from the upper hose to the compressor, i had to remove the lower hose to compressor connection. I replaced both O-rings with similar sizes from the O-ring kit I bought on rock auto, and probably could replace 3-5 entire O-ring sets in any AC system for a car still with the left over.

My mom had previously had cold air when I filled it up, than nothing later with the hissing sound. I thought the hissing sound was still there but she said it is different now and it has been staying cold for a consistent week now (before it would be gone next day and never get cold again), but not strong since I only did probably 10 ounces r134a and almost everything you buy has the sealer and other stuff.

I picked up a huge can of arctic cool with sealer, impurity evaporator and r134a with a actually gun seal breaking type attachment from harbor freight for $25. This will bring my moms ounces to 25 if I use the whole thing and it's synthetic for faster cooling it says. The important thing is I can actually use the cheaper $7.50 12 ounce r134a only cans from walmart now because this gun attachment with the arctic pierces the canisters to work, which is what the cheaper stuff requires.

It was either here or at my usual forum that someone made the comment that "some shops will not work on your ac system if it has been charged with any leak sealers, they can damage their professional equipment". The idea is it can damage the compressor and other parts of the system with those additives. I agree with them, but you can not find anything without leak sealer or some other additive these days, except for the ultra cheap stuff that no place sells but walmart based on what I saw. I agree with the recommendation of flushing out the system, but it would require taking out all the parts, flushing with water, and letting dry for several days and than reinstalling, so we will use my moms ac system as a Guinna pig I guess :/.

Good luck to everyone else fighting these problems.

P.S. if you are swapping out the TCA than you probably should buy a set of in cabin air filters, $12 for basic, $18 for premium and rock auto has a rebate with atp going on right now to give 5 bucks back with the premium that acts as a deodorizer. They are both in the same spot so might as well do both while the glove box is out..
Back to Top View JuanSolid's Profile Search for other posts by JuanSolid

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged  

meyerdel wrote:
Hi Bcaughorn, as far as I can tell, following this thread for a while now, there is a two wire TCA and a three wire TCA.  I was in contact with Chris Myers Nissan. They were out of stock at the moment of the two wire, it was $32 something but one thing lead to another and they checked what I needed for my '92 Sentra, and the TCA I need, runs $117. I have already bought a three wire for around $36, the two wire you got has the thermistor right? I have taken mine out and had it in my hand, so I know what it looks like. So is there a third type? Does anybody know what I end up with for $117? I can experiment for under $40, I don't feel so adventurous over the $100 mark. Any help would be great.

im not real sure. i dont have a pic of mine.but it looks like a small probe that you just push in.

meyerdel

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged  

Hi bcaughhorn, Here is a pic of what I have been calling the three wire type.

bcaughhorn
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged  

yea thats the first one i bought. the 2 wire is different. its just a silver probe to push in

meyerdel

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged  

If you go to this link, about half way down the page is a picture of the TCA that I have.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discu ssion-1993-2001/271075-2001-altima-intermittent-ac-issue.htm l

I guess we are on the same page, and there are only two types. There is the $30 type, and the $117 type.

meyerdel

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged  

I forgot to ask, is the TCA in the picture, from the link, the one you got for $30 something?

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version