Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Thermal control amplifier (ac issue) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
roosterfish

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 10:11pm | IP Logged  

joined to thank boatbuilder (as well as the person who posted the pics of the process) for the specific instructions regarding replacement of the thermo control amp.  have a 2000 Xterra that was having the intermittent A/C issue.  It was accompanied by a squealing belt when the A/C would kick on.  I thought the belt might be the issue, so I replaced it.  No help.  Since the A/C would blow very cold air at times, I thought the blower and compressor must be functioning properly - at least some of the time.  I was hesitant to take it to a mechanic - much less a dealer.  When I did some internet research, I quickly came across this thread.  I went to the dealer and bought the part ($60 with tax).  I printed Boatbuilder's instructions and went to work.  31 minutes later, I had STEADY cool air.

thanks again for all the great info.  you saved me a bundle in "diagnostic" charges and probably a new compressor, charge, hose replacement, etc...

Back to Top View roosterfish's Profile Search for other posts by roosterfish

Cajun59

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged  

Has anyone tried simply to bypass this "TCA" vs replacement. 
Back to Top View Cajun59's Profile Search for other posts by Cajun59

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged  

Cajun59 wrote:
Has anyone tried simply to bypass this "TCA" vs replacement. 

Welcome to the group!  I was under the impression the basic  function of the TCA was to turn off the A/C compressor when the evaporator core was frozen. Thus protecting the pump and increasing fuel mileage.

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..

“They say a country gets the government it deserves......welcome to Retardocracy.”GC

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Tramp

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 11:19pm | IP Logged  

I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with 196,000 miles with the same type a/c problem.  The problem started last summer.  I took it to a local repair shop.  They said they could not find a problem and filled it with dye to help check for leaks.  They said it was low on freon and "refilled" it.  It still does not work.

With our Texas summer tempatures remaining around 105 degrees for the last week I have really noticed the a/c issues.

I am going tomorrow to get a TCA and replace it.  To make things worse my window switch for the drivers window also stopped working.  Any suggestions on fixing this? 

2007 Ford Edge
Back to Top View Tramp's Profile Search for other posts by Tramp

Tramp

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged  

I picked up a TCA this morning from Nissan dealer ($40.40).  The parts worker stated they had the same issue with their parts delivery frontier truck.   After they made the same repair they have not had any problems.

It took me about 30 - 45 minutes to make the repair.  The A/C is working GREAT.  Thanks Boatbuilder and everyone else. 

As I was serching the web I did see the TCA for $29.00; however, I could not wait its hot here.  If you have time to order one, you might want to look around and save a buck or two.

Thanks again.

2007 Ford Edge

birds

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jul 21 2009 at 9:30am | IP Logged  

I blew a ton of money at one place, showed them this thread to have them make good on their misdiagnosis of my ac problems. Instead they wanted to charge me for all sorts of other unnecessary work. I told them they just lost my business. (after years and $1000's spent at their shop)

I then went to Nissan with a copy of this thread in hand and explained exactly what I needed...nothing else. I said $40 part, 30 minutes labor. They came out with an estimate of $330!!! Saying the needed to drain the refrigerant, etc. I again referred them to this thread.

Their claim is that there is a sensor that gets unplugged and causes all the freon to leak out and I would end up having to recharge the freon no matter what. They refused to change the part without pulling the system apart. I walked out with the part and said I would get someone else to do it.

What say you here? Has anyone who has replaced it themselves had problems later?
Back to Top View birds's Profile Search for other posts by birds

Tramp

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 21 2009 at 10:38pm | IP Logged  

Hey Birds,

I changed my TCA on Saturday, June 18th.  It has worked great ever since.  I had to turn my AC down today, June 21st, because it got too cool.  What a nice problem!!

I followed the instructions above and the suggestion of using the chopsticks to get it installed.  You might try using forcepts (I use these to remove the hooks from fish when I go fishing) to help install it.  They will allow you to hold it easier while installing it.  Take your time and Be patient and you can get it installed.

I did not have to "recharge" the system or even touch any other part of the AC.  The pictures on Page 2 of this forum give you an idea of what it will look like.  I am handy, but I am NOT a mechanic.  If you know how to use a screw driver and can follow directions you can install it.

The TCA plug was attached to the housing.  Unless the freon runs through the wiring it will not cause it to leak.  As I said, I am not a mechanic but I do know that the freon does not run through the wires!!  It has been 4 days since I installed mine and it continues to work extremely well.

Good luck.

2007 Ford Edge

Cajun59

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged  

Glad to hear of everyone's success, however, still don't see any comments on a bypass; which I will try this weekend.  Yeah, I know it is a safety device, if my evaporator freezes up it shuts off my compressor.  I'll take that chance.  Seems like I should be able to wire in a jumper between the red & white wire.  This will bypass the TCA; just need to check for results.  If my AC works all day, I'll know that was the problem.  I don't really expect my coil to freeze over, there is plenty freon in the system.  I'll post the results!
Back to Top View Cajun59's Profile Search for other posts by Cajun59

Fishing Guy 67

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged  

My 2003 v6 frontier stopped blowing cold air yesterday and now it is just barely cool air.  Pressure is correct and freon is correct. what could be the problem?
Back to Top View Fishing Guy 67's Profile Search for other posts by Fishing Guy 67

Boatbuilder306

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged  

Fishing Guy: The TCA seems like a good place to start. See above.
Back to Top View Boatbuilder306's Profile Search for other posts by Boatbuilder306

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version