Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

General (Non-Frontier)
 Nissan Frontier Forums : General (Non-Frontier)
Subject Topic: Hawaiian Islands In The 1930’s Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 27 2005 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Frontier,

OK I posted two old photos taken by my mother who was half owner of the Mid-Pacific News Bureau in Honolulu in the 1930s. She took many PR celebrity photos during her career.

I can do a write-up about the PICs if anyone is interested.

lakota

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Success is getting' what you want... Happiness is being satisfied with what you have!"

"Praying is askin for it... Meditation is waiting' for it."

from Brother Dave Gardner

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Frontier
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Master Admin

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 28 2005 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote Frontier

Awesome!

Would love to see more and hear the stories behind them!

Vebro Solutions Advertisement Network

Back to Top View Frontier's Profile Search for other posts by Frontier Visit Frontier's Homepage

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 28 2005 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote lakota

Frontier,

... OK.. you ask for it.

THE CRASH
... My Mother and ‘Godfather’ (Otto H. Hornung Jr) were a professional photographers and owned the Mid-Pacific News Bureau. They specialized in the public relations field and took pictures of ’celebrities’ visiting the Hawaiian Islands in the 1934-1941. They along with my uncle took the world syndicated photos of Amelia Earharts Hawaiian airplane crash in March 1937. This was a few months prior to her final trans-world flight attempt.
… There is hardly any reference to Amelia’s crash in Hawaii and I’ve not found any other photos of the crash any where. There was a short motion clip of the Electra on the History Channel but the clip was well after the crash and the engine cowlings had already been removed.

… In our family’s opinion Amelia Airharts second attempt to fly around (she crashed, as previously stated the first time) was aided and abetted by the U.S. government. The feeling is that her Lockheed aircraft was reequipped with cameras and to fly over the Marshall Islands to photograph the then secret military installations.

... My Mother, Uncle and God Father witnessed her Hawaiian crash and thought she did it on purpose. They saw two suspicious well dressed men hand her a small note witch she destroyed and then crashed on take-off.
... The witnesses said the crash seemed very strange. The landing gear was retracted before the aircraft became fully airborne. From the photographs the propellers can be seen bent forward which indicates the two 500 horsepower Wasp engines were still under power when they came in contact with the runway. It was claimed that a tire blew out but the Electra didn’t spin out on the runway.

The Lockheed Turbo Electra was shipped to Oakland and rebuilt (Possibly mounting aerial cameras) and she later started (June 1937) her Trans World flight to the east.
… This eastward Trans World flight was in the opposite direction of the first attempt. By flying eastward Amelia and her navigator Frederick J. Noonan (a pioneer aviation navigator who helped Pan Am open trans-Pacific air routes) would have to fly many more miles before reaching the Marshall Islands and there by gaining more news coverage and notoriety.
... With the added notoriety of the longer flight the defenders of the Marshall Islands might let her over-fly their military bases. We feel that Amelia was shot down over the Marshall Islands.

... Why over-fly the Marshal Islands? Here are a few notes about the Marshall Islands;

1914 - The Marshalls are captured from Germany by Japan.
1920 - League of Nations grants a mandate to Japan to administer the RMI.
1934 - Japan withdraws from the League, but retains possession and the fortifications of the Marshalls Islands begins as Japan prepares for war. The islands of Mili, Jaluit, Maloelap, Wotje and Kwajalein are developed into bases, forming a north-south line of defense in the Marshalls.
1943 - Allied invasion of the Marshalls begins.

lakota

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Frontier
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 28 2005 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote Frontier

Very interesting. These are the type of things I like to read about. Feel free to add more if you have any pics with the story behind it.

Thanks for the info.

Back to Top View Frontier's Profile Search for other posts by Frontier Visit Frontier's Homepage

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 06 2005 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote lakota

The Manassa Mauler

The Manassa Mauler was one of the nicknames given to Jack Dempsey.  Jack was born in a very small log house in Manassa Colorado which is about twenty miles south of Alamosa. The original photo was taken during a visit to the Islands and was autographed soon after development and printing. In the mid-1990s the 8 1/2 x 11 picture was donated to the Jack Dempsey Museum in Manassa.

A movie was made about his life and much information is available on the internet.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photo copy job.

Have a good one   and CUL.. lakota

Frontier
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 06 2005 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote Frontier

Very interesting!

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 07 2005 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Olympic Gold for Duke P. Kahanamoku in 100-Meter Freestyle 1912 and 1920 plus many other swimming and surfing championships call attention to this great Hawaiian.

Duke P. Kahanamoku should not be a stranger to any Hawaiian and much information is available on the Internet.

This photo of Duke P. Kahanamoku shown boarding a Pan-Am Clipper is autographed to my mother, Maxine Sample and Dated 9-7-37.

For the younsters it should be interesting that the Duke added Honolulu T.H. i.e. Territory of Hawaii to his autograph.

All the pictures in this series are greatly reduced in size a quality due to storage and transfer limitations. If higher quality/size pictures are desired contact me here on this thread.

Have a good one and CUL.. Don S..

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 21 2005 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

The Babe could have been a surfing champion.

Babe Didrikson Zaharias

(1914-1956)
Athlete

Participating in numerous sports in which she excelled and set several records, Zaharias is recognized as the greatest woman athlete of the first half of the twentieth century.

The ‘Babe’s’ real name was Mildred Ella Didriksen and was born June 26, 1914, in Port Arthur, Texas. Her mother, née Hannah Olson, was born in Norway and emigrated to the United States in 1908; her father, Ole Didriksen, also born in Norway, came to Port Arthur in 1905 and worked as a sailor and carpenter. Throughout her adult life she was known as Babe Didrikson, taking the name "Babe" from the sports hero Babe Ruth and the spelling of her surname, Didrikson, to emphasize that she was of Norwegian rather than Swedish ancestry.

Between 1930 and 1932, Didrikson held American, Olympic, or world records in five different track-and-field events.

Babe was voted Woman Athlete of the Year by the Associated Press, an award which she won five additional times, in 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, and 1954.

Didrikson married George Zaharias, a professional wrestler and he became her manager.

The autographed photo is of the Babe and George enjoying the primitive beauty of Waikiki Beach and note the primitive surfboards of the era..

Have a good one   and CUL.. Don S..

Supercharger1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 01 2005 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Supercharger1

Lakota, those pictures are priceless...keep'em coming and I like reading the write-ups too.

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 04 2005 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote lakota

Supercharger1;

… Thanks Herk for taking the time for the kind words of encouragement. Working these pictures has shown me how hard my mom had to work as a single parent for three or four years to support me and herself. She and my step dad past away several years back and my admiration for booth gets stronger as time marches on.

… Max Baer is next on the list… I’ll get it posted in a couple of days.

Have a good one   and CUL.. lakota

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version