Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

General (Non-Frontier)
 Nissan Frontier Forums : General (Non-Frontier)
Subject Topic: Hawaiian Islands In The 1930’s Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 04 2005 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Another great Boxer; Max Baer 1909-1950

Max and Buddy Baer were big name Boxers in the 1930s. This 1937 photo was autographed to my mother by Max.

Early during World War Two the Baer brothers volunteered and joined the U.S.Air Force.

By chance the brothers and my step dad (previously stationed at Hickham Field) were stationed at Hamilton Field California at the same time. My mother and I happened to see Max and Buddy and we took more pictures together. Some where in the collection of photos is one of me riding on Max Baer’s shoulders.

“Maximillian Adelbert Baer was born in Omaha, Nebraska on February 11, 1909, to German immigrant Jacob Baer. His father was a cattle dealer for Swift & Company who came to America with his French born wife in the late 1800’s. When Max (his brother Buddy Baer was a heavyweight prospect as well) was four, the family moved to Durango, Colorado for a couple years before settling down in Livermore, California when Max was nine years old.”

Read more in the link below.

http://www.maxboxing.com/mulcahey/mulcahey0411a05.asp

Max Baer Jr. is perhaps more famous than his dad to people that grew up watching the Beverly Hillbillies on television. My kids never missed an episode nor I for that matter.

... As a side note, Hamilton Field was a place that World War Two Air Force fighter pilots were trained. The aircraft used was the P-39, with tricycle undercarriage, it had a 37mm cannon under the seat that fired through the propeller shaft and the engine was mounted behind the cockpit. These were tricky for the beginners to land and I witnessed several crashing.

Have a good one   and CUL.. lakota

Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 18 2005 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Entertainer and Showman of the highest caliber, Edwin Kane Fernandez

We have two autographed pictures of E.K. Fernandez. The top photo should interest the youngsters with him riding the elephant. In the lower picture he is with G.W. Christy a fellow circus promoter from Houston Texas.

I have been to the great shows that E.K. Fernandez produced in the 1930’s and as with all children the shows were fantastic. There is a lot of information about E.K. Fernandez on the Internet with glowing accounts of this great man. There is not much I can add to the stories in the links below. At the bottom is a quote from a link about G.W. Christy.

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=1289644

http://starbulletin.com/1999/10/16/news/story6.html

http://www.ekfernandez.com/

http://www.gentryjournal.org/archives/jgg04a.htm"The Jan. 27, 1923 Billboard announced that the Gentry Bros. Famous Shows had been sold to James Patterson. The sale included the physical property to his quarters at Paola, Kan.

"Patterson was a well known figure in circus and carnival circles and had operated one or more carnivals for many years. In 1922 he had operated a 20-car circus titled Patterson's Big 4 Ring Wild Animal Circus. Since Patterson already had quite a bit of circus property on hand he sold the Gentry Bros. baggage stock, the ticket wagons, and cages to G. W. Christy. The rest of the property was stored, sold off, or put into the 15-car show he operated for the 1923-25 seasons under the title of Gentry Bros.-James Patterson Circus......

"The late Frank Welter of Houston in the 30's acquired many of the little Gentry Bros. cross-cages that had served on the show. These came from several sources but the ones purchased from G. W. Christy should have a direct link to the 1922 Gentry show. The Waiter collection was scattered after his death although it is reported some of the cages are still around.

All the pictures in this series are greatly reduced in size and quality due to storage and transfer limitations. If higher quality/size pictures are desired contact me here on this thread.

Have a good one   and CUL.. Lakota

Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 24 2005 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote lakota

J.J.Hughes, Lt. Com. U.S.N. Captain of the U.S.S. Panay.

Forgotten History?

... On Dec. 12, 1937 at 1:38 P.M. Japanese planes began bombing the gunboat U.S.S. Panay. Just two hours before the attack, Admiral Yarnell had notified the Japanese high command the exact position of the Panay so she would not be misidentified as a Chinese craft. Even displaying many extra large American flags she was attacked for two hours and sunk in the Yangtze River.

... After bombs began falling the crew began to defend themselves with several machine guns. Lieut. A.F. Anders, was shot in the throat from a strafing run and had to scribble the orders to his men by writing with chalk. Already wounded, Lt. Com. Hughes and the other survivors were machine-gunned as they put off in small boats and even after they reached shore.

... Local Chinese peasants aided the wounded and helped them escape to Hanshan, China. Afterward the Japanese apologized, but an angry President Roosevelt wrote a sharp letter demanding an explanation and damages. The Japanese paid the $2,000,000 damages and contritely explained that the entire incident had been due to a grave error. Yes indeed, and that’s Two Million in 1937 dollars.

On Dec.13, 1937, the day after the sinking of the U.S.S. Panay, began what became known as the Rape of Nanking, the capital of China.

Have a good one   and CUL.. Lakota

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 30 2005 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Who is Jane Wyman?

Jane Wyman (also known as Sarah Jane Mayfield Fulks)

Born as Sarah Jane Mayfield to an actress, a single mother, in St. Joseph Mo. Her name was changed to Sarah Jane Fulks when she was adopted by the Fulks family, neighbors of her and her mother. Jane Wyman’s birth date was January 4, 1914, according to most biographers, but other sources give it as January 4, 1917.

Jane Wyman started her Hollywood career as a bit player during the 1930s. She first appeared on film in 1932 as a Goldwyn Girl in The Kid from Spain,"

She served in the chorus lines and worked her way up the ladder to leading roles in a variety of classic movies during the 1940s and 1950s. Nominated four times for Best Actress Oscars and winning once.

1946 THE YEARING - Best Actress Nomination,

1948 JOHNNY BELINDA - Best Actress OSCAR,

1951 THE BLUE VEIL - Best Actress Nomination,

1954 MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION - Best Actress Nomination.

Jane Wyman made 70 plus films.

Jane Wyman later turned her talents to television and won a Golden Globe award for her role as Angela Channing in "Falcon Crest," a popular television drama of the 1980s.

Jane Wyman married to Ronald Reagan from 1940 until 1948(who later became President of the United States of America) , she is the mother of Maureen Reagan and the adoptive mother of Michael Reagan.

LINK FOR MORE INFO:

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/Wyman/wyman-awards.htm

Have a good one   and CUL.. Lakota

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 31 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

I wonder what the history is of the K-T Flying Service?

Can any one dig up more information up than I have? Watching the movie Tora Tora Tora and the movie depicting a private aircraft having an encounter with the Japanese strike force before the attack was interesting. The information from the Internet below seems to tie the K-T Flying Service and the U.S.S. Argonne together on Dec. 7, 1941.

http://www.airservicehawaii.com/history_2.htm Quote:

“… a new hangar which was formerly owned by K-T Flying Service. ( The "K" was for Knox of the Knox gelatin family and the "T" for an aviator named Tyson(or Robert Tyce). Tyson had been standing in front of the hangar on December 7, 1941, and was killed by a Japanese Zero. Bullet holes were still visible in its walls when Murray Air moved in.)”

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/3610h.htm Quote:

”AP-4 / AS-10 / AG-31 U.S.S. Argonne a submarine tender and classified as AS-10

“On the morning of 7 December 1941, Argonne-flagship for Rear Admiral William L. Calhoun, Commander, Base Force, Pacific Fleet-lay alongside 1010 Dock, when aircraft from six Japanese carriers struck the Pacific Fleet as it lay at Pearl Harbor, and neutralized surrounding air and military installations. The ship manned her antiaircraft battery-3-inch guns and .50 caliber machine guns-and commenced fire about 0758, shortly after the raid began.

Argonne's crew, wrote Comdr. F. W. O'Connor, the ship's commanding officer, "performed their duties in accordance with the best traditions of the service," helping to get wounded men from damaged ship s, recovering bodies from the water, and "assisting with repair facilities to full capacity." Early in the raid, Corporal Alfred Schlag, USMC, from the ship's marine detachment, manning a. .50-caliber machine gun, claimed shooting down an enemy plane as it flew over 1010 dock and turned toward Ford Island“.

“Interestingly enough, a member of Argonne's crew was actually attacked before his ship was; Motor Machinist's Mate 2d Class M. F. Poston was taking flying lessons. Returning from Haleiwa to the KT Flying Service field, flying a light training plane, Poston and Bob Tice [Tyson?], the latter the owner of the flying service (who was flying an accompanying plane) were both attacked by Japanese planes which shot them down. The one attacking Poston's light sport plane shot away the propeller and engine forcing the Argonne sailor to take to his parachute.”

Click on the link above for more interesting WW-II history of the U.S.S. Argonne.

In my photo gallery are more photos of the Amilia Earhart crash.

Have a good one   and CUL.. lakota

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 05 2005 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Richard Halliburton was in Hawaii, have you seen his
Junk?

Was the seaman lost in the Pacific
Ocean? Halliburton, a noted author at the time,
disappeared over fifty years ago.

Is he idling his days on some mystic enchanted
island with a bunch of beautiful island girls?

06-05_223120_R.Haliburton2.jpg">

06-05_223203_R.haliburton3.jpg">

06-05_223024_R.Haliburton1.jpg">

Above: Richard Halliburton is posing for the picture
taken by the Mid Pacific News Bureau while his ship is
being re-supplied. From the tales I’ve heard the Junk was
equipped with a diesel engine.

Richard Halliburton (1900 to 1939) was an American
explorer, athlete (another swimmer), and author.
Halliburton was born in Brownsville, TN. And grew up in
Memphis TN. After leaving Princeton University he began a
travel odyssey. This included circling the globe, largely
by hitching rides or "working his passage". He died (or
lost at sea) much like and not long after Amelia Earhart.
Halliburton was attempting to pilot the Chinese craft
eastward across the Pacific Ocean to prove a Junk could
reach the west coast of the United States. Though no
positive evidence turned up, some wooden debris was found
and thought to indicate Halliburton’s Chinese Junk may
have encountered a storm and broken up at sea before
reaching the United States.

coverstory2.htm">
http://www.memphismagazine.com/backissues/april2001/cover
sto ry2.htm
[/COLOR">
Quote:

“The second two decades of the twentieth century — the
Twenties and Thirties — constituted perhaps the last age
of adventure and conquest acknowledged by the modern
world. It was the era of Lindbergh and Hemingway, of Babe
Ruth and Rudolph Valentino. It was the era, too, of
Richard Halliburton. Unlike his contemporaries, however,
Halliburton is largely forgotten today.”

“The exploits that made him famous in his lifetime are
uncelebrated in his absence; his books, tremendous best-
sellers in their day, are long since out of print. There
are those who would argue that this circumstance is
fitting enough for a man whose writings have as little
relevance to the present-day world as an operator’s
manual for a Stanley Steamer. Be that as it may, Richard
Halliburton was in his own way a remarkable man who lived
an interesting and eventful, if incomplete, life; and for
a decade and a half, anyway, he was the most famous
Memphian in the world.”

All the pictures in this series are greatly reduced in
size a quality due to storage and transfer limitations.
If higher quality/size pictures are desired contact me
here on this thread.

Anyone having additional information on any of these
subjects is welcome to post it on this thread.

Have a good one    and CUL.. lakota

Edit 02/25/2014
After reading the “last known contact radio
transmissions” there is a good question about ‘weather’
the Sea Dragon actually docked at the island of Oahu. The
last radio transmission could have been made after
leaving Oahu and being blown off course by the squall the
Sea Dragon was sailing in. The radio message seems to
indicate the Sea Dragons skipper was lost by giving
coordinates (with a sextant in a storm?) of 31.10 north
155.00 ‘east’ and asking for radio direction finder help.
When I first scanned the pictures (up to 15 years ago?) I
thought I recognized Diamond Head in the background and
had no thought of the photo being made any where else. It
would seem the arrival of someone of Richard
Halliburton’s stature would be reported in the local news
papers.
Hopefully someone will check it out and report back…

Thanks… Don S..
SEE THE PHOTOS IN MY
GALLERY

or these smaller ones.

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 18 2005 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote lakota

“What was so special about Shirley Temple?”

She was a lot more than a child movie star!

The top Picture is autographed by Shirley to my mother.

The bottom photo shows Shirley, her father and mother along with crewmembers and Hawaiian based photographers.

Shirley Temple, Born April 23 1928

http://www.shirleytemplefans.com/main.htm Quote

“What was so special about Shirley Temple?

The most photographed child ever.

Starred in more than forty major motion pictures and fifty major television.
productions.

She received an Oscar Award in 1935.

Shirley Temple had two drinks named after her- Shirley Temple Cocktail and Dirty Shirley.

The color "Temple Blue" was designed for her wedding.

Became a U.S. Delegate to the United Nations.

She was the first woman in history to serve as chief protocol.

She was ambassador to Ghana.- 1974

She was ambassador to Czechoslovakia.- 1989

There were Shirley Temple dolls made after her.

Shirley Temple wrote an award winning autobiography, "Child Star".

Survived breast-cancer. “

http://littlestar.bravepages.com/ Quote:

“Hawaii had been a holiday haven for Shirley throughout her life. After her divorce [Jack Agar] had been sorted out, Shirley and her mother visited the island for a well-deserved break. There she met Charles Black, and it wasn't long before they were married on December 16, 1950. They have now been married over fifty years, with two children, Lori and Charles, Jr.”

Type Shirley Temple into a google.com search for tons more information.

Have a good one  and CUL Don S..

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 30 2005 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Mary Pickford was more than a Movie Star

The top picture is autographed and shows Mary Pickford with a grass shack in the back ground. Her dress was a special promotional print depicting Hawaiian songs.

The bottom picture shows Mary Pickford departing the Islands with the traditional throwing the lei. It is said that if your lei washes back to shore that you will return to the Islands soon. When my mother and I left the Islands we threw our leis overboard. My Mother returned but it looks like my lei didn’t wash ashore.

I enjoy seeing these photos of the Pan-American Clippers that were hopping across the Pacific before World War Two. Notice the wires that help support the elevator surfaces

http://www.marypickford.com/about.html QUOTE

From a very early age, MARY PICKFORD was determined to become a success. If she set her mind on something, Mary would not give up until she was in the door, and had the chance to prove herself. Whether she was surprising Toronto audiences at the age of five, auditioning for David Belasco, or convincing D.W. Griffith that she was worth more than any of the other stock performers in his Biograph company, Mary believed in her ability to overcome all obstacles.

Her ambition may have stemmed from a need to survive in troubled times, but her innate talent is what made Mary Pickford one of the most incredible performers on screen, and her head for business made her one of the greatest perfectionists in the history of film.

http://www.marypickford.com/film2.html QUOTE

From 1909 to 1933, MARY PICKFORD was not only one of busiest stars in the film industry, she was also one of its most successful producers. From early in her career, Mary Pickford oversaw every aspect of the making of her films, from hiring talent and crew to overseeing the script, the shooting, the editing, to the final release and promotion of each project. She was the catalyst behind the formation of the United Artists Corporation so that film artists could have both control and ownership of their own work. With those benefits also came responsibilities and financial risk. Under UA, Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, D.W. Griffith, and eventually other stars financed their own films. They refused “block-booking” schemes that could have shielded them from losses. Each film had to stand on its own. Mary Pickford considered film to be a medium of popular art, and quality was always her first concern. When she retired in 1933, Ms. Pickford continued to produce films for United Artists, and she and Chaplin remained partners in the company until her retirement in 1954.

Notes!

… I received correspondence that some people were not able to open my picture gallery. This can be caused by adware or cookie blocking programs. Try temporarily turning off the blocking software to gain admittance to the gallery.

… Charlie Chaplin was mentioned in the article above. I will be posting a photo my mother took of Charley but it’s not autographed because he was departing and the picture was still a negative in the camera.

… I hope this series is still of some interest. I watch the number of hit the thread is getting.

Have a good one ;) and Aloha.. lakota

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 21 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Who was Archibald Alexander Leach

Cary Grant on the ship headed for the “Main Land“.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Grant Quote;

Cary Grant (Horfield, Bristol, England, January 18, 1904Davenport, Iowa, USA, November 29, 1986) was a British-born actor in mostly American films. He was perhaps the foremost exemplar of the debonair leading man, not only handsome, but witty and charming.

Born Archibald Alexander Leach in Horfield, England, he had a confused and unhappy childhood. His mother was removed to a mental institution when Archie Leach was only nine. Grant's father never told him the truth, and he only learned twenty years later that his mother was still alive.

That left Archie Leach/Cary Grant with both a certain insecurity in his relations with women and a secretiveness about his inner life that may explain his bravado and charm. Those traits also come through more directly in many of his performances, in films as different as Suspicion and Notorious, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, and tear-jerkers, such as Mr. Lucky.

Cary Grant and Randolph Scott, who lived together for twelve years

Grant's unhappy childhood, by his own account, led him to crave applause and attention and to create a new persona that would attract it. After being expelled, in 1918 (from Fairfield School in Bristol) for an incident involving the girls' toilets, he joined the Bob Pender stage troupe. Grant traveled with the troupe to the United States in 1920 for a two year tour; when the troupe returned to the United Kingdom, Grant stayed — creating over time that unique accent and persona that mixed working and upper class accents as he supported himself as, among other things, a hawker. After some success in light Broadway comedies, he made it to Hollywood in 1931, where he acquired the name "Cary Grant". In 1932 he met fellow actor Randolph Scott on the set of Hot Saturday, the two developed a close friendship, sharing a rented house for twelve years. Some biographers such as Marc Eliot have asserted that

this relationship was romantic and that Grant was bisexual. [1] Other contest that and argue that the beach house they shared was known as "Bachelor Hall" and was frequently visited by women. On June 26, 1942, he became a naturalized citizen of the United States and a some years later married the wealthy socialite Barbara Hutton. Grant became the surrogate father and had a lifelong influence on her son, Lance Reventlow.

Grant starred in some of the classic screwball comedies, including The Awful Truth with Irene Dunne, Bringing Up Baby with Katharine Hepburn, His Girl Friday with Rosalind Russell and Arsenic and Old Lace with Priscilla Lane. These performances solidifed his appeal, and The Philadelphia Story, with Hepburn, established his best-known screen role: the charming if sometimes unreliable man, formerly married to an intelligent and strong-willed woman who first divorced him, then realized that he was — with all his faults — irresistible. Grant subsequently took that character in a far darker direction in Suspicion, directed by Hitchcock, without somehow losing his charm or his audience's devotion.

Grant was one of Hollywood's top box-office attractions for several decades. He was a versatile actor, who did demanding physical comedy in movies like "Gunga Din" with the skills he had learned on the stage. Hitchcock, who was notorious for disliking actors, was very fond of Grant, saying that Grant was "the only actor I ever loved in my whole life". Howard Hawks was just as devoted, saying that Grant was "so far the best that there isn't anybody to be compared to him".

Read more at the web site;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Grant

Have a good one    and CUL.. Lakota

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 01 2005 at 1:05am | IP Logged Quote lakota

Charlie Chaplin

Two professional photographers, Otto H. Hornung Jr and Yano, with Charlie Chaplin on the right

Born Charles Spencer Chaplin in London, England on April 16, 1889.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/artists/profile/chaplin.htm l

Quote:

“In a 1995 worldwide survey of film critics, Chaplin was voted the greatest actor in movie history. He was the first, and to date the last, person to control every aspect of the filmmaking process — founding his own studio, United Artists, with Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and D.W. Griffith, and producing, casting, directing, writing, scoring and editing the movies he starred in.”

“In the first decades of the 20th century, when weekly moviegoing was a national habit, Chaplin more or less invented global recognizability and helped turn an industry into an art. In 1916, his third year in films, his salary of $10,000 a week made him the highest-paid actor — possibly the highest paid person — in the world. By 1920, "Chaplinitis," accompanied by a flood of Chaplin dances, songs, dolls, comic books and cocktails, was rampant. Filmmaker Mack Sennett thought him "just the greatest artist who ever lived."

“Other early admirers included George Bernard Shaw, Marcel Proust and Sigmund Freud. In 1923 Hart Crane, who wrote a poem about Chaplin, said his pantomime "represents the futile gesture of the poet today." Later, in the 1950s, Chaplin was one of the icons of the Beat Generation. Jack Kerouac went on the road because he too wanted to be a hobo. From 1981 to 1987, IBM used the Tramp as the logo to advertise its venture into personal computers.”

Read more here:

http://www.time.com/time/time100/artists/profile/chaplin.htm l

Have a good one ;) and CUL.. Lakota

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version