Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

TSB - Technical Bulletins
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical : TSB - Technical Bulletins
Subject Topic: Tapping sound during engine start Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
swensen

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 11 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote swensen

I have a 2006 Frontier with <700 miles.  I have noticed that during morning cold starts, a faint tapping sound comes from the engine for the initial one or two seconds after the engine starts.  I do not press the accelerator during start up; just turn the key.  There is an initial rev of the engine then immediately returning to idle.  During the initial rev, I hear a slight tapping sound.  I assumed that the sound was due to oil not being circulated initially, combined with initial high rev of engine, causing lifters (or some other internal engine part) being metal on metal which obviously could not be good.  The dealer assures me that the high rev on start up is a "Nissan" thing and says tapping sound is normal.  Any ideas?
Back to Top View swensen's Profile Search for other posts by swensen

NVNISSAN

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote NVNISSAN

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. 1000 miles. 2 wheel drive. 6 cylinder. When it first starts up (cold or semi cold) I hear a click/clunk sound when it shifts the FIRST TIME from 1st to 2nd gear in the engine area, front end???? As long as I keep driving it without shutting off the engine I don't hear the noise again. If I go anywhere where I need to park it for 15-30 minutes, the sound reoccurs. Any one with the same situation????
Back to Top View NVNISSAN's Profile Search for other posts by NVNISSAN

knightsofnii

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: May 18 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote knightsofnii

swenson i have a 2000 3.3L frontier,  from probably the 2nd day i had it in april 2000, it's been doing exactly as you describe. 

it starts and hits 2000rpm then drops to 1500....then 1200...where it will stay
for several seconds then the fan backs off and idle will hit normal 750 after
a minute or two.

but during those initial 3 seconds of startup:  taptaptaptaptaptap

what oil are you using?   a thicker viscosity oil will take longer to get into the head.
but i'm using stock 5w30 and it does it for a second or 2

40Frontier_Crew

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 20 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote 40Frontier_Crew

This is normal for the engine and is nothing to be alarmed about.  If I am not mistaken this is the cam sensor moving the cam.  Toyota had the same noise complaint several years ago on the 22R engine but even worse (sounded like a rod) but the truck had over 150,000 miles and had done it from day 1.

With regard to the click-clunk, not sure about that as mine is a 6 speed manual.  I have 17,500 miles now on my 2005 and had one issue but was fixed under warranty.   

I am running Mobil 1 5W30 Syn and have no issues.  Getting about 21-23 mpg with 50-50 driving (city - highway).  Good friend has 06 2x4 crew cab with 6 speed as well and 95% interstate driving he is getting 23-24 mpg but has a K & N filter.  I will try next to see if it gets better mileage.

wcfields

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote wcfields

swensen wrote:
I have a 2006 Frontier with <700 miles.  I have noticed that during morning cold starts, a faint tapping sound comes from the engine for the initial one or two seconds after the engine starts.  I do not press the accelerator during start up; just turn the key.  There is an initial rev of the engine then immediately returning to idle.  During the initial rev, I hear a slight tapping sound.  I assumed that the sound was due to oil not being circulated initially, combined with initial high rev of engine, causing lifters (or some other internal engine part) being metal on metal which obviously could not be good.  The dealer assures me that the high rev on start up is a "Nissan" thing and says tapping sound is normal.  Any ideas?

That tapping is because the oil has to come up from the oil pan.  Lack of a better work I will use check valve, a check valve that should keep oil at the top of the engine is not doing it's job.  This is not normal and keeping bugging the dealer where you bought it at and Nissan usa. I have several nissan vehicle problems at this time.  If I could be of help please let me know.  Because right now I am a 2006 frontier and a 2005 Xterra.  I have several issue with the vehicles and the dealers said it is normal and I know it is not normal. Here is my e mail adress wcfields@midwest.net   As consumer we must look out forwe have spen our hard earn money.

Back to Top View wcfields's Profile Search for other posts by wcfields

blktruck

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Dec 22 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote blktruck

I have an 06 4x4 XE CC (automatic trans) with 10,000 miles, and have noticed the same sound, before it hits second gear, its a metallic clunk sound - but just one clunk, and just like NVNISSAN if I park for 10-30-min. the sound reoccurs. The only work that has been done to the truck is a gas tank replacement at 9000 miles. I also hear the valve-train rattle on a cold morning but my Toyota Tacoma did the same thing this time of year.

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. 1000 miles. 2 wheel drive. 6 cylinder. When it first starts up (cold or semi cold) I hear a click/clunk sound when it shifts the FIRST TIME from 1st to 2nd gear in the engine area, front end???? As long as I keep driving it without shutting off the engine I don't hear the noise again. If I go anywhere where I need to park it for 15-30 minutes, the sound reoccurs. Any one with the same situation????

Back to Top View blktruck's Profile Search for other posts by blktruck

JFordBronco
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote JFordBronco

I have had this problem.  I was told to

A - use Nissan oil filter by my mechanic

B - that it was some sound insulating around something in the engine

I brought it in and they fixed it and I didn't hear it again for a while until about three weeks ago.  So much for that fix.  I run Mobile 1 10/30 Synthetic in it. 

Joel

Battman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 27 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Battman

NVNISSAN wrote:
Back to Top View Battman's Profile Search for other posts by Battman

Battman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 27 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Battman

NVNISSAN wrote:

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier 2wheel drive V6 as well.  At around 3,ooo mi the exact same thing started on mine.  Whats Up?  anyone know what it is?

Back to Top View Battman's Profile Search for other posts by Battman

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version