Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Slight "clunk" when stopping and starting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
spencestein

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote spencestein

I recently purchased an '06 crew cab (automatic) and I'm trying o work out some of the bugs.  Aside from a few noises, however, I only have one mechanical concern so far.

When accelerating or decelerating, I feel a slight "clunk" throughout the vehicle (brake/accelerator pedal, shifter, steering wheel, seat).  Again, it's very slight, and I can avoid it by creeping to a stop or accelerating extremely slowly.  But under normal acceleration or braking, it feels like there's a big block of ice in the bed, with just enough room to slide back and forth (I don't feel it when shifting at speed).

Has anyone experienced this or have thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks!

Back to Top View spencestein's Profile Search for other posts by spencestein

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote lakota

spencestein;

. The noise may be related to some that are dicribed in the thread that is linked  below:

http://www.nissanfrontier.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=522&PN =3

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..

Most of the countries we import our food and goods from hate our guts… do you think for a minute they treat the food and merchandize with loving care? Globalization Sucks for the average American… but our enemies, and big business, and our politicians love it!

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Lemoninspector

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Lemoninspector

The problem is the slip yoke on the drive shaft has too little grease in it. And the splines on the female part of the slip yoke is too sharp. You need to take it to the dealer and have them take off the bellows and file down the beveled end of the female shaft and install General Motors grease in the splines and reinstall the boot. Fixed my '07 CC Short bed Auto.
It used to feel like the rear axle moved and then the truck moved. I could only feel it in the seat but that is your problem.
You can try this first. Take the shaft off the pinion yoke and shove the rear shaft into the front one and "drag" the grease back from the male end into the splines. Work the shafts back and forth awhile . You will hear the grease working. If that cures it (temporary) that is the problem. Nissan (Dana drive shaft) puts very little grease in the boot.   

Guys -you need to tell your dealer to separate the slip yoke and grease the splines. The "pack" of grease in the slip yoke is on the bottom end of the male part of the front shaft. The female end does not go far enough up on the male end to get into the grease. So you have a female spline riding on dry Teflon on the male end and when the truck stops the shaft lengthens and when you stop the shaft is bound up. When you take off the shaft shortens and the shafts release and you get the bump. They need to go into the slip yoke of the drive shaft and correct your issue. That is it.

rsevers

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote rsevers

I purchased a new 2007 Frontier Crew Cab Long bed three weeks ago and it does the same thing.  I took it the the dealer last week and they said they could not duplicate the problem.  I figured they would already have a service bulletin on this problem.  I guess I will have to take the mechanic on a test drive because it is very noticable to me.  If you take yours in let me know how it goes.  I am going to print this and take it to them.  Thanks Lemoninspector for your response.
Back to Top View rsevers's Profile Search for other posts by rsevers

Lemoninspector

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Lemoninspector

There is no service bulletin on this. But that IS the fix. They need to go in and PACK the slip yoke with Teflon grease and get the stuff DANA supplied out of there. They also need to round off the splines on the female end of the slip yoke as it hangs on the teflon installed on the male splines of the front shaft. Fixed mine and it works great. I hated the feel of things banging around under there. Think of this -Everytime it does it is is releasing the shafts and it is either jambing/SHOCKING your trans thrust washers or your pinion bearings. Go get it fixed and tell 'em Lemoninspector said so.
I did work directly with a Customer relations manager from Nissan and Field Engineer so I imagine there will be a TSB out soon. I ran in to this in the '70's and'80's on Fords and GM pickups
The Nissam techs are going to tell you they don't feel it or it is normal. It is NOT.      

jef1411

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote jef1411

Got the clunk out, Just like the lemoninspector, said in his post of Aug 10, 2007.  I just bot a 2005 Frontier king cab with 14000 mile. And I noticed the clunk.  It was bothersome to me but had no idea what to do about it.  Taking it to the dealere was not on my list-- they are best at giving you the run-around. THANKS TO THE LEMONINSPECTOR. i TRIED THE FIRST CHOICE OF PUSHING the rear drive shaft up in the centermain spline to get the grase to move in on the splines.

Misto

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 26 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Misto

This issue is still alive and kicking. I am one week into owning a 2012 Frontier CC. The "Start/Stop Bump" was driving me crazy. I was so regretting the purchase. I had been kicking myself for not spending the extra money on a tacoma. I just got in from test driving after trying the grease dragging experiment suggested by Lemoninspector.  It didn't quite go away entirely but I barely notice it now.

How do I convince my dealership to do this though? They claim it is normal behavior.

Any suggestions would be greatly apriceiated

I know this thread is very old, but have no doubt: Lemoninspector knows what he's saying. If he had a shop nearby I'd give him my business immediately.
Back to Top View Misto's Profile Search for other posts by Misto

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 30 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

The problem with Nissan warranty is, a part needs to be
replaced to get paid. Or an approved adjustment(as
Lemoninspector described) needs to be done. The problem
arises in convincing Nissan to lube the splines. Any
service manager or warranty clerk( would be able to get the
claim paid for one way or another, if they really wanted
to.

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

rsevers

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 30 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote rsevers

Misto, I have owned my Frontier now for five years and just made the
last payment. The clunking noise I complained about years ago would
come and go over the years. I believe it was temperature related.
Once a year I would disconnect the driveshaft from the rearend and
force the two pieces together. It still does it slightly but has gotton
better over the years. If it makes you feel any better my coworker
bought a Tacoma the same week as me in 2007 and his transmission
went out just out of warranty. He never abused that truck but he hated
it, he has since sold it. Oh by the way about 6 months ago I took my
truck to Hypertech in Bartlett, TN and had it reprogram. Amazing what
a difference it made, they removed the 0-60 fuel limiter. You can order
that device on the Internet if you don't live close by.

spidermantt

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 03 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote spidermantt

I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version