Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Rough Idle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nocturnaldrive

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote nocturnaldrive

Power consumption- When you turn on something like the Air Conditioner it draws more amperage from the alternator. Naturally there will be a momentary lag where the draw out-paces the provided amperage. This is why in any vehicle you will see their headlights dim if they're on and the operator starts up the AC.

One way to minimize this effect is to reduce resistance in the electrical lines. This is done by upgrading either the quality of wire or increasing the gauge of the wire, or both. In the instance of an ENGINE GROUNDING KIT (EGK) you are reducing the resistance on the negative side of the power flow by directly grounding the electrical engine components to the battery with high quality eight-gauge wire. EGKs have been widely acclaimed by groups such as Car and Driver Magazine, showcased in vehicle improvement shows like HorsePower TV and are stock features in Lexus, Ferrari, and Lamborghini engines to name a few.

EGKs are not stock in most vehicles because I figure manufacturers are always looking to cut costs and it really is a performance UPGRADE, and not necessary for the vehicle to operate.

My point to be made is I was looking for performance boost and found a partial solution to my rough idle problem.
Back to Top View nocturnaldrive's Profile Search for other posts by nocturnaldrive

infinitesign

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote infinitesign

I just had my 99 frontier to the mechanics for a timing belt and tensioner change. It has 265,000mi on it, and the belt has never been changed. Stupid of me, but never the less, an interesting point on how often they must be changed.

Anyway, after the belt change and new plugs, wires, and cap, my nissan had a roughness I experience at only idle speed. After having the tune up checked, everything there is fine.

Here is my input on the rough idle. There is one thing that the truck used to do, but is now not doing since I got it back from the mechanic. Ever since the truck was new, when I would come up to a stop, whether the vehilce was warm or cold, the engine would oscillate back and forth four or five times, high idle then low idle...high idle then low idle... until it finally rested out at normal idle. My old nissan did the same thing, and so I thought this was normal. The truck no longer does this. Just up to the stop light, and poor idle.

Please help!!!

Back to Top View infinitesign's Profile Search for other posts by infinitesign

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 23 2008 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

infinitesign wrote:
 Ever since the truck was new, when I would come up to a stop, whether the vehilce was warm or cold, the engine would oscillate back and forth four or five times, high idle then low idle...high idle then low idle... until it finally rested out at normal idle. My old nissan did the same thing, and so I thought this was normal. The truck no longer does this. Just up to the stop light, and poor idle.Please help!!!

infinitesign;Your wording has me confused. But I’m not all that swift…

... What engine are we talking about? It sounds like it could be a coolant sensor or low coolant temperature due to a bad thermostat that is fooling with the computer.

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..

It would be nice if our members would add their vehicle information to their signature (similar to mine) plus add their City and State . A member in the same town might be willing to drop by and help you with a problem. Or drink all your beer!

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

gandl2123

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 11 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote gandl2123

Phil,

I'm with you here.  Engine grounding kit???  All engines are grounded using a metal grounding strap or two.  One is usually mounted on or near the negative cable from the battery.  Just having a cable come off of the neg terminal and hooking to the engine doesn't ground it to the frame but only gets neg contact to the starter. A seperate small grounding cable usually comes from the neg terminal as well and goes to the frame/fender.  Another strap (somewhat thicker) goes from the back of the block to the firewall. (most cars).

Rough Idle:  Most if not all of these problems can come from these main things:

1.) A vacum hose that has fallen off or that has an opening in it.

2.) The IAC or Idle Air Control Valve has built up some carbon on the place where it seals.  Most dealerships will just clean off this carbon and charge you an arm and a leg.

3.) The EGR Valve is sticking open.  The EGR valve if left open at idle will cause a very rough idle as you need as much vacum as you can at idle.  The only way to check this is to remove the EGR and then blow through it and see if it holds your air back. The air shouldn't pass through the valve unless vacum is applied to the diaphram.

Good Luck.

Mr. Tripp

Augusta, GA

Back to Top View gandl2123's Profile Search for other posts by gandl2123

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version