Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Towing / Hauling
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Towing / Hauling
Subject Topic: Towing Weight Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hotajax
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 13 2008 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote hotajax

Pulling a boat and trailer weighing 5100 lbs,  my  Crew  Cab is rated to pull 6300  lbs.  Will do infrequent (as in 4x a year) hauls of 200 miles on mostly flat roads.  What mods , if any, will I need?  Full synthetic ATF oil?  ATF cooler?  Thanks in advance.  I don't have sway problems.< ="text/">_popupControl();

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 13 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

hotajax;

Welcome to the group! Do them all... I guess the transmission would be first on my list.

I installed my t-cooler in front of the radiator before I realized it was not the best place for it. I know every one else installs them there but it’s not good for the A/C or engine cooling system.

The job of the add on cooler is to help dissipate heat but why put this additional heat in front of the radiator and in front of the air conditioning condenser?

Most modern vehicles are operating at temperatures over two hundred degrees and are being taxed to handle the added heat of transmissions under a heavy load. So in many cases the oil is going back into the transmission too hot. The life of the automatic transmission relies on the life of the oil and the additives in the oil and heat shortens the life of the oil and the additives in them.
... Add on coolers should be used as pre-coolers in series with the cooling core in the radiator. An after-cooler would cool the transmission oil better but still put too much heat into the engine coolant as well as be too cool in the winter.

TIP: I have noticed many stock cooling lines need to be insulated from headers and pipes.... I shielded my cooling lines with a scrap piece of aluminum.

... First look for a mounting place away from the exhaust system. Look for mounting places under the bed. The cooler will dissipate a lot of heat even without much air flow because the oil will be VERY hot when the transmission is under a load. For HD towing a small 12 volt fan could be installed.

... On top of many front skid plates are good mounting spots. Mount the cooler in the hot out-put line between the transmission and radiator and it and it will be a pre-cooler. I used a clear piece of hose connected to the in and out cooling lines to find out which was which. After connecting the clear hose have someone start the engine while you watch to see which way the bubbles flow to tell which line is which.

The Pre Cooler will reduce the frequency of needed automatic transmission fluid changes.

... I mounted my pre-cooler to the top of the front skid shield (passenger side behind the radiator) on my wife’s V-8 ‘99 Grand Cherokee. I noticed later there was a nice safe place under the body behind the drivers seat.

Have a good one and see you later… Don S..

It would be nice if our members would add their vehicle information to their signature (similar to mine) plus add their City and State .

A member in the same town might be willing to drop by and help you with a problem. Or drink all your beer! One took my wife!... J/K

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

Nelson37

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: May 31 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Nelson37

hotajax,

On the new Frontiers that are rated 6K plus in towing, they already come with a transmission cooler installed.  Look to the passenger side just in front of the radiator.  Like Lakota says, it's not the best place for it, but it's the spot that gets the most air flow with the least possibility of getting plugged up or damaged with dirt/mud/etc...   The cooler is approx: 9x14 and is a very stout product.

Considering you are towing on mostly flat roads, I wouldn't do a thing to your truck.  The ABSOLUTE "BEST" thing you can do for towing is to install a transmission temperature gauge to know "exactly" what temperature your transmission is running.  The life of your transmission fluid at 195 degrees is about double that of 220.  You should change your trans. fluid more often when towing. Also, just after towing, pull out your dip stick and smell your flluid.  If it smells burned or other than good fluid, then you know you need to change the fluid as well as do something more to prevent the extra heat, which is where a temp. gauge comes in.  Just make sure you have a class 3 hitch assembly and mirrors that are wide enough to see....... And DON'T do what the idiots out here in California do and  tow a trailer that heavy in overdrive!  Or, at over 65 mph.

Take care and keep us informed!

Back to Top View Nelson37's Profile Search for other posts by Nelson37

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 31 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote dannyg

one little thing air tiers up 2-4 psi and rember to take it back out when your not towing. To Nelson37 they drive stupid like that in FL to.   

06 frontier 4.0 auto

Back to Top View dannyg's Profile Search for other posts by dannyg

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version