Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Towing / Hauling
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Towing / Hauling
Subject Topic: What size/ kind of camper can I pull? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
judson85

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 15 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote judson85

Hey guys. I've only had my 06 CC 4x4 for about 2 months and my wife and I are considering a camper. I'd like to keep this truck for a long time so I want to take care of it. My question is, does anyone else pull a camper with this sort of truck. If so what do you pull. Also what would be a safe weight to pull and still be able to keep my truck 10+ years.
Back to Top View judson85's Profile Search for other posts by judson85

dannyg

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 16 2009 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote dannyg

I`ve had a 24 foot trailer behind mine it was a bit much for my truck which is a 4.0 V6 auto tranny. If you are even close at looking at a trailer this size buy the add trailer brake controller

06 frontier 4.0 auto

Back to Top View dannyg's Profile Search for other posts by dannyg

judson85

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 16 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote judson85

dannyg wrote:
I`ve had a 24 foot trailer behind mine it was a bit much for my truck which is a 4.0 V6 auto tranny. If you are even close at looking at a trailer this size buy the add trailer brake controller

I definatly plan on adding a brake controler as per the owners maunal 3500 lb weight instruction. I guess I also should have mentioned that my truck has an auto trannny as well.

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

If you’re towing with an automatic you will need an auxiliary transmission cooler.

I installed my t-cooler in front of the radiator before I realized it was not the best place for it. I know every one else installs them there but it’s not good for the A/C or engine cooling system.

The job of the add on cooler is to help dissipate heat but why put this additional heat in front of the radiator and in front of the air conditioning condenser?

Most modern vehicles are operating at temperatures over two hundred degrees and are being taxed to handle the added heat of transmissions under a heavy load. So in many cases the oil is going back into the transmission too hot. The life of the automatic transmission relies on the life of the oil and the additives in the oil and heat shortens the life of the oil and the additives in them.
... Add on coolers should be used as pre-coolers in series with the cooling core in the radiator but can bypass the radiator in the summertime.

. An after-cooler would cool the transmission oil better but still put too much heat into the engine coolant as well as be too cool in the winter.

TIP: I have noticed many stock cooling lines need to be insulated from headers and pipes.... I shielded my cooling lines with a scrap piece of aluminum.

... First look for a mounting place away from the exhaust system. Look for mounting places under the bed. The cooler will dissipate a lot of heat even without much air flow because the oil will be VERY hot when the transmission is under a load. For HD towing a small 12 volt fan could be installed.

... On top of many front skid plates are good mounting spots. Mount the cooler in the hot out-put line between the transmission and radiator and it and it will be a pre-cooler. I used a clear piece of hose connected to the in and out cooling lines to find out which was which. After connecting the clear hose have someone start the engine while you watch to see which way the bubbles flow to tell which line is which.

The Pre Cooler will reduce the frequency of needed automatic transmission fluid changes.

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S.

Delusional style of thinking seems to fly high in Wastington D.C.

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

vlade

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 26 2009 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote vlade

Boy I dont get around here enough. Well any how we had the opportunity to grab a Cherokee toy hauler that weighed about 4100lbs with my bike at 900lbs and some odss and ends we would probably still be under the the  spec 6000lbs/600lbsh*tch weight. (figures rounded)

But the wife back slides, says she dont wanta wear out "her truck" to fast.

Would this be a load for the nearest camp ground and back home or an everyday cross the country dont sweat it type thing?

Kinda askin the original topic starter question again

Like dannyg its about 24 ft, would have trailer brakes . I got an auto tranny 4x4 I was about to look into what exactly what all my towing pkg includes and if a trans cooler is there or needed when the ol lady put the skids out.

thanks for any help

homeless on the road

judson85

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 26 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote judson85

vlade wrote:

Boy I dont get around here enough. Well any how we had the opportunity to grab a Cherokee toy hauler that weighed about 4100lbs with my bike at 900lbs and some odss and ends we would probably still be under the the  spec 6000lbs/600lbsh*tch weight. (figures rounded)

But the wife back slides, says she dont wanta wear out "her truck" to fast.

Would this be a load for the nearest camp ground and back home or an everyday cross the country dont sweat it type thing?

Kinda askin the original topic starter question again

Like dannyg its about 24 ft, would have trailer brakes . I got an auto tranny 4x4 I was about to look into what exactly what all my towing pkg includes and if a trans cooler is there or needed when the ol lady put the skids out.

thanks for any help

homeless on the road

Thanks for everyones help so far but I am now more confused than ever. i thought I had a safe empty trailer weight figured out but yesterday I went to the Nissan dealership. I talked to a guy in the service department and asked what a safe trailer weight would be and he told me that he wouldn't go over 3500 lbs. I have a 06 CC 4.0 auto! That , to me, seems really low for a 4.0 V6. I may try the other dealership in my area just to see if they say the same thing.

ewalbridge

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote ewalbridge

Hi,
I haul a 25 ft lightweight camper with my 4.0 6 spd manual. Dry weight is
around 3200 lbs, loaded is an additional thousand. I use the weight
distribution/anti sway hitch and have the electronic brake controller. In my
opinion both of those are a must. This fall I put on a 10 ply load rated tire
as well, and while I expect it'll help with the swaying I'm afraid the extra
weight on the wheels will slow things down a bit. Anyways, no problems
with the above setup so far, as long as I keep slow and take my time...
good luck
Back to Top View ewalbridge's Profile Search for other posts by ewalbridge

firefire

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 11 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote firefire

I do not think I would tow more than a popup camper with the frontier V6. You really need a V8 and brake control devices and trans cooler to do the job safely and without damages to your frontier. I use to own a tacoma and use it for my 16' bass boat as well as a popup camper, i placed a trans cooler on the tacoma. I had a tundra for the 26 foot travel camper with aux trans cooler and trailer brake control.
Back to Top View firefire's Profile Search for other posts by firefire

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version