Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Occasional starting problem Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
smiley

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote smiley

Background:

I have  2004 Nissan Frontier with V6 and auto.

It has 36,000 miles.

Problem:   About every 4 or 5 weeks it will not start. What I mean by this is, it acts like the battery is almost dead. It will turn over 1 turn slowing, 3 second delay and then turn over 1 turn again.  Occasionally, it might catch and start. Other wise it will need a boast. Now heres the strange part, once it starts (runs for 5 sec's) I turn it off. I then try to start it again, and it works just fine????? It will be fine again for a few weeks and then the same problem.

I have a new battery, and have had the alternator tested - both are in good working order. I also had the mechanic test the starter with an electical tester while the truck was starting and running at 2000 rpms. It said the starter was fine, but at that point the truck was starting properly.

It doesn't seem to matter if the truck is fully warmed up, or if it is  cold (first start of the day)

The next thing I guess I will try is to take the starter out and send it in to be disassembled and rebuilt.  Not sure what else to try.

Have one else having a similiar issue??????   Any help is appreciated, this is my 3 nissan truck, but am getting tired of this problem quickly.

Thanks in advance

Back to Top View smiley's Profile Search for other posts by smiley

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

clean and tighten all battery connections, also clean and tighten all grounds to the engine including the one down by the starter.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

Nissan Technician 25 + years
2011 John Deere X720SE
Back to Top View frontierguy's Profile Search for other posts by frontierguy

smiley

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote smiley

Thanks "frontierguy"

It has a new battery with new connectors. All the cables from the starter were removed and cleaned. I will check the ground again, but it seemed tight with a solid connection.

What do you think about taking the starter out and sending it in to the shop for a inspection / rebuild. Am I wasting my money and time?

cheers

smiley

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote smiley

Hey again out there...

I am still having this problem.  It happens about every two weeks and is fine between.

I am not convinced that it is starter, but unless someone else has a better suggestion I will remove it and take it to a rebuild shop. 

I purchased a portable battery booster, and has helped me out once already.

Thanks in advance.... ;) 

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

It seems that if it starts with a boost, it is a concern with the battery, charging or connections. Just for the heck of it, have you tried another battery? Does the truck get driven everyday- long distance-short distance- belts tight and in good shape???

'10 Altima SL
Traded 08 Frontier for 16 Frontier SV CC Long box, quite an upgrade. I do miss the 6 speed and Dynomax ex.

2011 John Deere X720SE

smiley

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote smiley

It starts with a boost, but If I turn the engine off as soon as it starts (4 to 5 sec's). It will start fine without any boost..  and continue to work fine for the next week or two ????

Could it be something shorting out in the starter, then after it starts  its fine again. (loose piece of the brushes??)  Something that causes more reistance to turn the starter over occasionally???  Bad solinoid???

SideNotes:

- replaced old battery that was experiencing the problem with brand new battery. All connections were cleaned or replaced.

- not many long runs (max run is about 20 min at city speed limits) - automatic tranny not manual. Usually run the truck to work everyday (18 min's in city)

- all belts were replaced 1.5 months ago, including the timing belt. This was happening before and after belt replacements.

- mechanic checked alternator and battery with somesort of Electical hand held device for checking battery, alternator and starter???

Thanks for the input so far, hopefully someone has a light bulb go off and I can get this monkey off my back  ;)

cheers

Boomer
Nissan Guru

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Boomer

You might have a dead spot on the starter.  Next time it won't start, try hitting the starter with a rubber hammer and then try to start it again.

2013 VW Passat TDI
State College, PA
Back to Top View Boomer's Profile Search for other posts by Boomer

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

Boomer wrote:
You might have a dead spot on the starter.  Next time it won't start, try hitting the starter with a rubber hammer and then try to start it again.

But it starts with a boost , not a tap to the starter.

'10 Altima SL

2011 John Deere X720SE

frontierguy

Master Mechanic

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote frontierguy

The city driving alone in cold weather is enough to not recharge the battery sufficiently. Have you tried a trickle charger on the battery overnite? Any chargers plugged into the power outlets or parisitic draw been checked for?

'10 Altima SL

2011 John Deere X720SE

smiley

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote smiley

I don't use any external chargers for a cell phone or laptop in the truck. I believe the mechanic did check for any leak down checks, but I will confirm that with him tonight. 

He did mention, to check the lights next time the truck won't start. I guess to see  if there is a draw from somewhere else. (lights go dimmer when tring to start the truck).  Last time it happened, I did check but it was very sunny outside so it was hard to tell.  I think they went slightly dimmer, but not a 100% sure. Haven't had it happen since, too check again. (almost 2 weeks ago)

Has anyone seen a situation where the starter seems to require more power to turn the engine over. IE.. starter is seizing, (it can't be ice - freezeing, a couple times the truck had been driven for over an hour, then turned off and in 3 min wouldn't start)

If I take this into the Nissan Dealership, would then be able to test for anything that a normal / small outfit .... can't.   That is to say, any testing equipment the dealership would have that a small garage wouldn't?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version